Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it seems kinda random, but when you guys break a frame, do you throw them in the trash or recycle them or keep them or what? I cracked my diamondback frame and i dont know what to do with it, its just taking up space.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've got the space and

stuck two up on the walls as decorations, same as a bunch of old race numbers, stickers, parts, etc. Probably the closest to art I'll get.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You should mail it to me.... so I can cut the tubes, and practice TIG welding if it's an aluminum frame. I haven't TIG'd in a year, so I need to brush up. :D

If it's steel... send it anyway. I can make a lamp out of it or something. ;)

-Matt

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
stool

cut off the frt triangle and use the rear triangle w/ seatpost & seat as a stool.. seen some pics of a few around, pretty cool.

ajw8899 said:
I know it seems kinda random, but when you guys break a frame, do you throw them in the trash or recycle them or keep them or what? I cracked my diamondback frame and i dont know what to do with it, its just taking up space.

·
Registered
681 Posts
In college my roommates and I used to hang all of our broken frames on the wall. Its a great conversation starter even for non-bike people... Of course we also had a van seat with the seatbelts still attached, and a couch with no cushions, so I'm nto sure you should be taking decorating advise from me. ahhhh, the good ol' days :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
sell sell sell

If it's a full suspension or has a removable derallure hanger you could sell those on ebay, some discontinued frame parts can go for big bucks. (pivots, rear triangle or front half, etc) But it all goes to condition. The other posts' suggestions work too.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Brewdog, I think that somehow broken frames aren't

probably going to make very good choppers...

·
Registered
170 Posts
No need for welding gear.

All you need to make a stool is a hacksaw, just chop the front triangle off , bend the rear triangle apart for stability and sit :) I have one and it works great when I'm working on my bike down low.

dirtpaws said:
Just don't throw it in the trash because then it'll just get buried in a land fill for eternity next to all those broken VCR decks and Happy Meal toys.

I like the stool idea. If only I had welding gear.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
BigHit-Maniac said:
You should mail it to me.... so I can cut the tubes, and practice TIG welding if it's an aluminum frame. I haven't TIG'd in a year, so I need to brush up. :D

If it's steel... send it anyway. I can make a lamp out of it or something. ;)
-Matt
Which equipment do you need to weld al?? I know it's not like TIG'ing steel...

Any links???

·
Penis Goat!
804 Posts
dirtpaws said:
Great!

Got any pics of this stool?
No pics here, but I can agree that they are pretty neat. My fav LBS has one sitting around, it's a good way to do something with a broken frame.

One of their employees has a broken Kona on his wall - either method makes something useful out of the bike....furniture or art.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts