Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search, but no luck. I just ordered a '07 rockshox tora 302 uturn(85-130 mm) for my trek HT. When installing my new fork, what should I be sure to do? I got it from blueskycycling.com, so will it already have a star nut? What do I lube the steerer with, just midweight bike grease? Where the heck can I find a beginner's guide to rebound/preload? Thanks yall have been alot of help with all my threads.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The starnut usually comes with the headset you purchase and not the fork. Get some one to help you and a repair manual if this is your first time installing a fork.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You're going to be in for some fun. I didn't realize so much was involved until I started thinking about it.

Before you disasassemble your current setup, measure how high your bars are off the ground. The new fork may have a different ride height so your bar height may not be the same with the same number of spacers you have now. At this point also make note of any brake adapters your fork may be using. If the brake mounting is different on the new fork, you may have to buy a different adapter.

The new fork will NOT come with a star nut, so you'll either have to buy a new one or remove the nut from the old fork. You will also have to remove the crown race from the old fork or buy a new crown race. It just may be easier to buy a brand new headset. But you'll need to get a shop to install the new headset cups unless you have a cup removal tool and a cup press. You could also buy the same model headset you currently have and re-use the cups that are already installed. After this get your crown race installed on the new fork either using a crown race installation tool or by using a screw driver and tap around in circles until it's all the way on. But be careful alloy crown races could scratch easily.

The next thing you need to worry about is getting the the steerer tube length right. I suggest dry fitting everything together and set the stem height to the same height which you measured at the beginning. You may also want to add a couple of spacers on top just in case you want to raise it later and longer steerers are better for resale value. once you have that, Make a line about 5mm below your highest spacer. If you are using 5mm spacers (the most common) then just remove the top spacer and draw the line.

That line is the point where you will cut the steerer with the pipe cutter. Once the fork is cut you may want to use a file and file off any burrs. Now grease everything up and put it all back together. At this point you should have it all together (except for the brake), you just need to install the star nut. Either use a star nut installation tool, or you can take the top cap, bolt and nut, and screw the nut about 1/3 the way up the bolt. Now hammer the bolt into the steerer tube, until the top cap is flush on top. Be careful to keep it centered. Now just tighten the bolt to compress the bearings and tighten your stem. Re attach and adjust your brake and there you go.

Next read the owners manual of your fork to learn how to set the preload and other fork adjustments.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You'll need to move both the crown race (the lowest section of the headset, sits at the base of the steerer, on top of the fork's crown) and the star nut. Both of these come with the headset, not the fork, and both can be tricky to move. I had an especially hard time removing the crown race from an old fork. I, too, suggest getting a bike mechanic to assist.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
I too just got a new fork (r7 elite) however when I removed the old fork from the bike the crown race just slipped off with a little push. Hope that is normal? Then I just slipped it onto the new fork? Now all I have left to do is cut the steerer tube to the appropriate length & install the star nut then the wheel & brakes?
One thing I did notice is that my brake connection to the old fork was mounted with an adapter, is it ok that I just removed the adapter to fit the new fork? Everything buttons up nicely that way?

Thanks

Oh yeah: I dont mean to steal a thread but there is no need to start 2 threads of the same question.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Make sure that your crown race pushed all the way down on the new fork. It should be pretty much flush with the crown. If the new fork uses the same adapter, then just move the brake and adapter over. You'll probably have to re-center your brake after the move.

See what I wrote above about cutting your steerer tube to the right length. Use a pipe cutter for a nice straight cut, or a hacksaw for a not so nice and straight cut.

Actually here is a decent site with fork installation instructions:
http://www.whatmtb.com/workshopdetails.asp?id=28

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you still plan on doing it yourself (and feel somewhat confident in your tool-wielding skills) check out this thread for a dyi (and probably not highly recommended by some) method for removing the crown race:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=258303

And again, if you feel confident in your skills, you can probably do it yourself. You just have to pay attention to order of removal...especially w/ the headset. Hey, its the best way to learn.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't even worry about trying to remove the star nut. Some people do, but I'm convinced they have infinite patience. Most LBS will give you one for next to nothing, if not free.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
I love doing my own work on the bike. I cant stand giving it to the LBS even though I know they do good work. However I can not weld.:thumbsup:

I will make sure it snaped on all of the way. Do I have to squeeze the crown race at all to close the little gap/break in it? That seems like it will make it fit snug.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Well I installed the fork, i hope all is correct. I just need to dial in the adjustments.

To install the starnut I used a rubber hammer & tapped the nut in as mentioned above, worked fine. Everything else was pretty smooth.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.