Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the BB is on a downhill slide on my '92 Gary Fisher Aquila. This is one of those brain fart years where the BB bearings were pressed in. LBS said there's nothing they can do about it, but I've done some research and looks like something *could* be done, but for probably $100 parts/labor. Anyway, I'm wondering if the bike is worth anything (ie. would a collector want one)? The frame is in great shape (black w/ grey lettering), have replaced the headset and saddle, and handlebars. Slightly bent one brake lever (not replaced, still works fine), everything else is stock and in good working order. It's a fun bike, I'm bummed GF designed it so I can't just replace the BB and keep riding it. So any comments/ideas? Keep it (would rather not)? Sell it? Give it away? Thanks!
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
Why cant you replace the BB??

Press Fit Bearings are faster to replace than a standard thread in BB. All you really need is a rubber mallet or hammer with a non-metal head and some scrap wood.

Also the bearings are generally of higher quality than those found in most thread in BBs and last longer in my experience.

I wish more manufacturers used that design,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I have a 90 Hoo Koo E Koo. Mine has the press in bearings retained by the snap rings. I was able to get a complete assembly from a Fisher dealer. The thing is, the BB uses standard cartridge bearings. If you can read the number off the bearings or if you can measure the bearing's OD, ID and width, you should be able to order a set from any bearing supply house. If you spindle is damaged, you are probably out of luck. Ditto for the crank since new cranks all use a much skinnier spindle.
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
Spindles still available as well

You can get spindles from Phil Wood or Action Tec.

If you want to switch to a lower profile crankset you can orger a shorter spindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,987 Posts
Shayne said:
Press Fit Bearings are faster to replace than a standard thread in BB. All you really need is a rubber mallet or hammer with a non-metal head and some scrap wood.

Also the bearings are generally of higher quality than those found in most thread in BBs and last longer in my experience.

I wish more manufacturers used that design,
I recently had a shop replace the press-in bearings on an older Ritchey, and it was not an issue. The mechanic had a tool that was used for replacing Klein BBs, and said that he worked fine for other press-ins as well. If you're shop has issues with it, try another shop (find one that has been around for a while).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shhwing!

Thanks for the replies! So the upshot of this is that I was assuming I'd have to replace my bike and started asking around for any older bikes...just picked up a Ritchey Ultra for $40!! :D :D :D Probably less than the cost of a new BB assembly. So... the question remains as to whether the Aquila is worth anything or not...
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,654 Posts
x_tele said:
Thanks for the replies! So the upshot of this is that I was assuming I'd have to replace my bike and started asking around for any older bikes...just picked up a Ritchey Ultra for $40!! :D :D :D Probably less than the cost of a new BB assembly. So... the question remains as to whether the Aquila is worth anything or not...
Ok...now you need to explain where you found a Ritchey Ultra for $40!

This one didn't even meet reserve...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3694730241
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rumpfy said:
Ok...now you need to explain where you found a Ritchey Ultra for $40!

This one didn't even meet reserve...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3694730241
This was from a friend I used to work with- I just happened to remember that he mentioned he wanted to sell it in '01 (didn't really know a lot about brands then) and asked him if he still had it and he said it was just sitting around collecting dust and would be happy to get rid of it. Small dent in the top tube and pretty well-used but still very rideable. There's gotta be so many bikes like that just sitting around in basements/garages...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top