Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building up a light-freeride/all mountain bike. I weigh about 200 lbs and ride fairly agressively. I'm hoping to start learning how to do small drops, stunts, ect. but also want to be able to ride with my old XC buddies without killing myself. Just wanted to get an opinion of what wheels, hubs and tires to run. I've got an 05 heckler with a dhx 5.0 and vanilla 130 rlc.

I've been considering rhyno lite XLs built on hope xc or bulb hubs. I've also been recommended to use a kenda nevegal in the back and a blue groove up front. What do you all think?

Please keep in mind that I'm a college student on a budget but I do not mind spending the extra cash for more durability and performance (chris king is out of the question unless you want to buy them for me).. I would say durability is paramount because there is nothing worse than wasting time and money fixing flimsy, finicky. parts.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Since you're on a budget, I'd recommend picking up some Mavic XM 321 rims on XT hubs. Good bang-for-buck, and a good match for the Heckler. Don't worry about buying expensive hubs until you start destroying XTs - at that point switch to Hope Bulb or Hadley (my favorite).

On the Kendas, I prefer the Nevegal front and back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just worried about the durability of the XT freehub...I destroyed one of those on my XC bike, but I guess at pretty much half the cost of the next available option i could get one, use it, destroy it, and get another.

About those nevegals, what's the tread durability like? I heard they wear out very fast because of the softer rubber. Are these something I'll have to replace after a half season of riding?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts