Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shwing
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly use the Blindside for fr/dh shuttle runs. I wanna get more into racing tho, so i decided i want to lighten it up, without losing the ability to jump and do drops. My budget is about 1800

Here is the price list of my Blind side now along with a pic(as it sits it weighs 45.6):

Frame Trans BS Medium
Fork Marz 888rc2x 06
Headset PS reducers/ diablous
Bars Diablous o/s
Wheels Trans revolution 32h
Pedals Easton Flats
Brakes Avid Codes 203mm(picture is pre codes)
Tires Kenda Nevegal 2.5
Casette sram p990
Chain sram
Deralluier sram x7
shifter x7
Cranks truvativ hussefelt
Guide transition

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Titanium coil spring. Titanium bolts everywhere (not sure if worth the money). Magnesium pedals (like Wellgo MG-1). E13 LG1 guide. Single ply folding Kenda tires (you will save lot of weight, but obviously not as strong). Carbon helmet. Carbon handlebar.

·
Registered
706 Posts
EX823s on Pro 2s
EA70 Bar
SLR Saddle
Lighter Brakes (Saints, The Ones, Juicys, XT, XTR, Oros)
Keep those tires but mount them tubeless with Stans on the 823s.
Ti Spring
New Cranks (Holzfeller OCTs would be easy on that BB.)
PG970 DH 11-26t
LG1
Lighter Pedals

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
A bunch of retarded suggestions, especially the carbon handlebar and ti bolts :p

Wheels... 823 to Hadley/Hope Pro II with Supercomp spokes will save a bunch of rotational weight if runned tubeless.
Pedals... Wellgo MG1.
Crankset: Shimano XT.
Handlebar... Sunline or Syncros Bulk.
Cassette: Shimano XT or a custom road cassette/Ultegra.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
start dropping weight from the top down, to keep the centroid low.

ti bolts are a waste of money i think. they only matter if you spend $500+, and no real return on performance.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've got the same frame with the same fork and my bike weighs in at 40 pounds, here are a few tips.

1) Your wheels aren't the lightest but they aren't the heaviest. Try going ghetto tubeless and that will drop 1.5 to 2 pounds depending on what kind of tubes you are currently using

2) Your pedals are heavy switch them out to something like Wellgo MG-1.

3) Your seat and seatpost are heavy. Get SDG I-Beam post and seat, or a Thompson post and SDG Ti-Fly seat, also cut excess off the post

4) Your crank is heavy, get something like a Shimano Hone, or Gravity Lite, at least get some Holzfeller OCT, you can get a deal on those off the Santa Cruz website.

5) Your chainguide is a little heavy, switch to a Gamut P30, e.13 LG1, or MRP G2. At minimum put on a Gamut bash guard instead of the Truvativ one you have now.

6) Find a deal on the classifieds for a Ti Spring

Here is more stuff you could do if you really want to spend money:
Buy new wheels as other has suggested, Mavic 823 or 721 on Hope Hubs, Sun ADD Lites.
New fork like the Boxxer Team (save over 1 pound) or Ti Springss for the 888
Carbon Bars, Sunline Stem, Sunline Grips
Convert Codes to Ultimate Codes
Ti brake hardware and rotor bolts
Road Cassette

·
Shwing
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so hers what im thinking so far
syncros bulk bars
sram x0
sramp970 casette 11-21
probably ghetto tubeless
wellgo mg1
gamut p30
thomson elite post
sdg ti fly saddle

all comes to about 705, what do you think

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'd really rethink your current cassette upgrade...
The Sram p970 is still considerably heavier than the Shimano Ultegra.
If your going with the tighter gearing range anyways, you might as well go with a durable roadie cassette like the Ultegra.

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
nano5467 said:
so hers what im thinking so far

all comes to about 705, what do you think
syncros bulk bars <-- Yes
sram x0 <-- Waste of money, blow a lot on not much weight savings, get an X9.
sramp970 casette 11-21 <-- Weight is ok, Utelgra and Dura-Ace are lighter, also make sure you want 21 to be your easiest gear. Forget climbing anything with a 21t.
probably ghetto tubeless <-- Good choice
wellgo mg1 <-- Good choice
gamut p30 <-- Good choice (Get a p20 if you are running 32 or 34 up front)
thomson elite post <-- Good choice
sdg ti fly saddle <-- Good choice

I would take the money I was going to spend on that X0 rear derailluer and get a lighter crank. Shimano Hone, Gravity Lite, Shimano XT (if you're a light rider). Personally I'm waiting for the Shimano SLX to come out in a couple of months.

Also Shimano and SRAM cassettes are compatible with each other, so you don't have to have a SRAM cassette with a SRAM derailleur

Coiler: according to sicklines.com the weight diff between the 970(12-26) and Utelgra(11-23) is less than 30g. I wouldn't consider that "Consideribly Heaver". Maybe your thinking about the 970DH.

·
Registered
839 Posts
nano5467 said:
so if i got the ultrega cassete now im stuck between deraller ultrega or xt shadow
You could use any derailleur with that cassette...
I'm currently using a 12-27 Ultegra with my medium cage Sram X.9 rear derailleur and a 36 tooth chainring up front.

·
Registered
839 Posts
oldskoolbiker said:
Coiler: according to sicklines.com the weight diff between the 970(12-26) and Utelgra(11-23) is less than 30g. I wouldn't consider that "Consideribly Heaver". Maybe your thinking about the 970DH.
Whoops, yes I was thinking of the DH model :madman:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.