Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what to do on a rainy day....hmmmm?

Been reading Green Giant's thread and it got me to thinking. Maybe I should pay Sherwood and Company a visit, I got an itch to scratch. Call up the shop and Theresa picks up. We chat for a little and schedule something up for Friday. Low and behold the weather goes south and it starts pouring.

So an hour and half later and 100 miles later and I'm knockin' on the door. All I have to say is "Oh my God!" I've walked through the Pearly Gates of Heaven. I've been to KB's shop, Santa Cruz, Tom Richey and WTB but nothing like this. CNC machine cranking away, frames hanging on the wall, rockers everywhere, and a brand new spankin' batch of frames from getting powdercoated.

So I start shooting the sh*t with Sherwood. This that and the other. Folks, he isn't doing this for the $$$, it's a labor of love. It's hands on all the way. I watched him face off the BB, headset and seat tube on all the frames after powdercoating on a lathe. So after more poking and prodding I throw my leg over one of the steeds and pedal off. Man, big difference from my YBB. So I try another one. Now I am narrowing down the size.

If I had compared my YBB geometry to the Salt, I would have rode a 15". But a lot of seat post is showing and more than I like so Sherwood says try a 17". I think to myself damn that's going to be a big bike. With a 30" inseam I am thinking it's going to be too big. Low and behold a perfect fit. So I ride a round a little more and I thinkin' this may be it. Then Sherwood says its an 05 and it got my gears going; and going good.

Well to make a long story short, I am now a proud owner of a Salt :D

For those of you on the bubble buy a Ventana. You get to talk to the man at the helm, and outstanding product, and pride. Pride of ownership, pride for being built in the USA and pride because the man that designed it gives a damn about us, the consumer.

Many thanks to Sherwood for answering all my questions, to Mike for putting my rides together, to Ono for the beautiful frame jobs and Theresa for setting this all up and making it possible.

Now time to get the bike dirty!

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
That is great! Welcome to the clan. I also have a 30" inseam and am happy to hear that it fit you well. The versatility of the Salty just blows me away, and I will strongly consider it next time I get a really, really bad case of UGI. My doctor (ie wife) tells me that may be a while.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
LoneStar said:
That is great! Welcome to the clan. I also have a 30" inseam and am happy to hear that it fit you well. The versatility of the Salty just blows me away, and I will strongly consider it next time I get a really, really bad case of UGI. My doctor (ie wife) tells me that may be a while.
LoneStar, you are clearly misinformed my friend....you dont "get" a bad case of UGI, it is a chronic disease that simply shows symptoms at select times.......usually correlated with the arrival of new products and in my case, correlated with new posts from larry, el beastro, and squeaky wheel bragging about their new "stuff"......

·
Registered
95 Posts
30"

LoneStar said:
So you got the 18" 05 Salty?
How tall are you and what length stem? Bar combo?
I am still switching the combo's around looking for perfection.
Right now I am installing the thomson 110x5degree with my titec ti hellbent .75" riser
and removing the 120x0degre fsa 31.8 and easton 31.8 monkeylite xc, not sure if it felt a little long but my 100x0degree easten mg60 and monkeylite sl was too short and high.
Too many options.
The ideal theoretical is 110x0 or 5 degree's and I am 5'8"-5'9"

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
FoShizzle said:
LoneStar, you are clearly misinformed my friend....you dont "get" a bad case of UGI, it is a chronic disease that simply shows symptoms at select times.......usually correlated with the arrival of new products and in my case, correlated with new posts from larry, el beastro, and squeaky wheel bragging about their new "stuff"......
Yes, but Uncle Sam helped to put this chronic disease in remission for a little while.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
LoneStar said:
Yes, but Uncle Sam helped to put this chronic disease in remission for a little while.
good for you......I too like tax season, cause i have so many dependents!!!

I wonder if Larry gets to write off all of us since we depend on him?

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Actually, he took my money this year when all was said and done. Between that and the home theatre project, I'm not going to have much left for bike parts for a little while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.