Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new 2005 Marin Mount Vision for 2000 or a new 2007 stumpjumper comp for 2000? What would you do? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm... a Spez question in the Spez Forum? Almost like asking if you should buy a PC on a Mac site. Not sure how many replies you'll get tipping the hat to other makes. You may want to try posting in the General or What Bike to Buy forum as well.
Both are phat rides, you'll be smiling either way:thumbsup: . Full XT with Avid Juicy 7's vs. X9/X7/LX with J5's. Did you get to test ride? Ride them sucka's to see what feels best.
...use The Force, Luke...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm... a Spez question in the Spez Forum? Almost like asking if you should buy a PC on a Mac site! Not sure how many replies you'll get tipping the hat to other makes. You may want to try posting in the General or What Bike to Buy forum as well.
Both are phat rides, you'll be smiling either way:thumbsup: . Full XT with Avid Juicy 7's vs. X9/X7/LX with J5's. Did you get to test ride? Ride them sucka's to see what feels best.
...use The Force, Luke...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well first off these are two different beasties.

The Marin is more of a long travel XC bike with 100mm
Where as the Stumpy is an All Mountain type with 120mm
Yes I know that 1" doesn't seem all that much but it really is when going up hill.
Well it does make a difference in the DH and FR thingy too.

Spec-wise the Marin kicks the crap out of the Stumpy
Rocket Ti seat, Butted spokes, EA70 bars, Carbon post, Full XT (even Cassette!),
And according to the spec you get Candy C pedals, nice! LaserDisc Lite, Juicy7!

I don't know if they still do but Marin used to hand build all wheel-sets too,
Much better then the machine junk Spec has, and the M525 rear hub is crap.

The Marin is more then likely about 2+ pounds lighter, more aggressive XC geometry
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22213&bikeTab=techspec
http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2005/graphics/pdfs/bike_specs/marin_specs_xc_frs.pdf

Ride-wise they are both very good designs, MTBR really likes the QuadLink
I have friends who really love their Marin, the only downside I know is a bit less active braking then FSR's.

On the other hand it is a 2005, which to me is not a huge deal but some are whacked that way.
It is new? From a shop? If so warranty is not an issue.
Parts quality-wise there is very little difference with the 2005 vs. 2007, in reality.
The newer fork might have some valving, maybe lighter but overall minimal differences.

In the end the best is the seat of the pants feel test, get the one you like to ride.
For me with that choice, I might opt for the Marin just for the better spec, unless I didn't like the ride.
Since it is a 2005, try to get an even better deal, that one is only about $1200 off, should be more in my opinion.

RideOn!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.