Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a used bike that came with a 2010 36 Van RC2. Guy said he was a wrench but when I received the bike I had a hard time believing somone who would send a bike in that condition would actually work on them professionally.

Anyways, having now put on a solid 20 hours on it I've noticed a little oil leaking from the seals but nothing to serious.

My question is, should I just replace the seals with new fox seals (are enduros necessary with the new seals?) or should I replace seals AND oil?

Thanks

·
Zero to drunk in $20
84 Posts
Hey, I have a 2010 36 Van R and I just did my first service on it. It turns out that it really isn't a big deal, as long as you have the right tools. I also skipped servicing the FIT damper which is significantly more in depth. It took me about 3 hours to get it done, but now that I have some experience I guess I could do it an hour.

If you decide to replace the seals you'll have to replace the oil anyways. I recommend doing that, new seals are only about $25. If anything that should buy you some piece of mind and you'll know the job is done right.

Theres a ton of debate over OEM vs Enduro seals. I went with OEM. When I next service my fork I'm going to try the Enduro seals. Search a bit on MTBR and you'll find a ton of opinions. What I've gotten is that Enduro seals keep everything out better while OEM seals have less stiction. I've also read a ton of accounts disputing both those things. Good luck figuring out this one.

EDIT: Just want to mention that the difference between the R and RC2 is just the damper, I think. Otherwise changing the seals and oil is the same procedure for your fork and mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So did you use the Red AND green oil like fox says?

I'm going to go with Foxs' new 2012 seals and try those out.

I don't see any reason to fiddle with the FIT damper either.

Thanks for the info, I will be asking any questions i have in here to you.

·
Zero to drunk in $20
84 Posts
So did you use the Red AND green oil like fox says?

I'm going to go with Foxs' new 2012 seals and try those out.

I don't see any reason to fiddle with the FIT damper either.

Thanks for the info, I will be asking any questions i have in here to you.
You only need the red oil for the FIT damper.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I don't mess with the FIT damper i just need fox's green oil? If i do redo the oil in the damper I need red oil as well? Green goes into the damper side and spring side of the bath and red only goes into the fit damper is what fox's oil volumes chart says... sound right?

Thanks

·
Zero to drunk in $20
84 Posts
So if I don't mess with the FIT damper i just need fox's green oil? If i do redo the oil in the damper I need red oil as well? Green goes into the damper side and spring side of the bath and red only goes into the fit damper is what fox's oil volumes chart says... sound right?

Thanks
That's right.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The Fox 36 should have it's oil changed every 30 hours of riding.

As mentioned, replace them with Enduro seals. The latest generation of Enduros doesn't have any more stiction than Fox seals, though the older generation definitely did.

Your damper probably does not need to be serviced.

Since you have a FIT damper, just used Mobil1 motor oil for the bath oil. It's cheap, easily available, and will do a better job lubricating the fork than suspension oil.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you are going to keep telling people to put Enduro Seals on a Fox fork, at least include the fact that they void their warranty. Straight from a phone call to Fox. Fox seals are fine. Fork seals that are not lubed in a full oil bath need to be replaced often. Light weight comes at a price.....

·
Zero to drunk in $20
84 Posts
If you are going to keep telling people to put Enduro Seals on a Fox fork, at least include the fact that they void their warranty. Straight from a phone call to Fox. Fox seals are fine. Fork seals that are not lubed in a full oil bath need to be replaced often. Light weight comes at a price.....
Good info, I didn't know they voided warranties.

And like I said, good luck figuring out the Enduro vs. OEM seals. People here have chosen their sides and will fight (zealously) for it. Ultimately, everyone has to make their own decision.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you have a FIT damper, just used Mobil1 motor oil for the bath oil. It's cheap, easily available, and will do a better job lubricating the fork than suspension oil
OK I'm confused, fox's 10wt green oil goes into damper side and spring side... are you saying I can just use Mobil1 in both sides??!?!??! I'm not going to mess with the damper which takes the red oil which I believe, and like you said, essentially the same (fully synthetic) as mobil 1.

I've HEARD that the new 2012 fox seals are as good as enduros, whether this is time tested and proven is another thing... so I'm going with the new Fox seals.

Now I'm confused about what oil to buy. The shop sells 1qt of green oil for $22, if I can use mobil 1 that would be great but I don't want to mess anything up. Why should I not go with green oil?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I don't tell people that because it's wrong, and I'd ask you to stop giving out bad information. Whoever told you that at Fox is trying to scare you. Using Enduros doesn't void your warranty.

Fox seals are lubed by an oil bath.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
OK I'm confused, fox's 10wt green oil goes into damper side and spring side... are you saying I can just use Mobil1 in both sides??!?!??! I'm not going to mess with the damper which takes the red oil which I believe, and like you said, essentially the same (fully synthetic) as mobil 1.

I've HEARD that the new 2012 fox seals are as good as enduros, whether this is time tested and proven is another thing... so I'm going with the new Fox seals.

Now I'm confused about what oil to buy. The shop sells 1qt of green oil for $22, if I can use mobil 1 that would be great but I don't want to mess anything up. Why should I not go with green oil?
Yes, you use it for bath oil in both sides. The FIT damper is sealed, so the bath and damper oil don't mix. No, the Fox oil isn't the same as Mobil1. Fox is suspension oil which is formulated for dampers, and you should only use suspension oil when it's used for damping. However, bath oil's job is lubrication, which Mobil1 engine oil does a much better job of. You won't mess up anything by using it.

The new Fox SKF seals are suspposed to be quite good. However, the public hasn't gotten a lot of miles on them yet, so it's too early to tell. That's why I'd recommend sticking with the tried and true Enduros at least for now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok,

1) buy mobil 1
2) remove lowers, seals, drain oil, clean
3) add shiny clean new mobil 1 to lowers
4) install new seals using float fluid for the foam ring things (can i use mobil 1 here too?)
5) reinstall lowers
6) ride

yea?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Yes, but the order is a little mixed up. You need to install the lowers before adding oil. There are directions on both Fox's and Enduro's sites.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts