Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a Schwinn Mesa, that I bought new in '98. Sold it a few years ago, as I wasn't using it. I was mostly just riding around Denver. The occasional hardpack trail didn't really require a mountain bike, so I got a Specialized Sirrus. The Mesa needed new pedals when I got here to Colorado in 2008, so I bought the Mallet 1. Never actually used the clipin part of it though, only used it as a platform pedal.

When I sold the Mesa, I put the stock Sirrus pedals on it, as I had replaced those with nicer platform pedals. So now I have a brand new Specialized Rockhopper, with the stock pedals. I can put the Mallet 1 on them, or I can trade the Mallet 1 into Crank Brothers for a $60 credit towards a Mallet/Candy/Eggbeater 3(making the total cost $60+shipping).

What would you do? The Mallet 1s have a small bit of wear on them, but nothing substantial. The cleats are new, never been used. I haven't been trail riding in a few years, and this is my first serious mountain bike. So for this, I consider myself a beginner.

·
Registered
445 Posts
From 1 beginner to another! Be ready to fall some if you are on a serious trail. I have busted my A$$ so many times I am thinking about TRAINING WHEELS!=) I am thinking about going flat pedals for a while. Stuff happens fast in the woods! The clipless are great for climbing though.
Good luck!
Bill

PS:Rode the rockhopper ,what a fun bike! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well, you mentioned only using the mallets as a platform pedal...do you ultimately want to use clipless or stick with platforms? If clipless is your goal and you'd rather have candys or egg beaters then trade them in...otherwise the mallets would be fine on the Rockhopper. On the other hand, if platforms are what you want, it would be best to just sell the mallets and buy a good set of platform pedals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to use clipless. Though these are older mallets, and they seem to have fixed some reliability issues in 2011. But I don't know how much that would play into it, since I am basically a beginner. I bought the Mallets so I could use either normal shoes(short trips around town), or dedicated shoes with clips. But at that time, I only owned one bike.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I'd recommend flats to a beginner...or non like me.
Wellgo CNC Platform B143 Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
You can use trailrunners with the stubby pins on these.
I agree. Put the clipless on the shelf for a while and buy a set of pinned flat pedals. The Wellgo MG-1 is a pretty cheap decent pair. I am most certainly not a beginner and I ride flat pedals all the time. There's no compelling reason to rush to clipless especially when you're still building your skills.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I ran clipless the very first day I hit the trails, but I was also coming from the road and was used to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts