Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All :)
I have very frequent problem... I don`t know what should I choose.
I`m looking for a normal bike just to ride to work but also to go to the forest or mountains (often).
I like fast and hard cycle but I`m not looking for anything to FR/DH.
The main problem is that I`m not a small fella ;)
I`m 6'/240lb (1,83m/110kg).
Becouse of my weight I had a problem what should I choose to have a good fun and be safe.
Second thing is that there is so many really good brands that sometimes I`m completely disorientated.
I would like to choose something from the premium class bikes:
Santa Cruz, Intense, Yeti, Turner, Cannondale, Iron Horse and similar ...
I can spend max about 4.000 euro.
Many people said that I should choose bike from Santa cruz, they recommend Blut LT, Hackler and Nomad (Blur LT and Hackler with Rock Shox Pike 454 U-Turn and Nomad with Rock Shox Lyrik 2-Step Air in every option with Fox DHX 5.0 Air on rear).
About the rest parts...
I have some idea, my own:
Front fork:pike 454 U-Turn or Pike 454 U-Turn or something similar from Fox e.g. Talas 36
Drive:X-9, X-0
Brakes:Avid Juicy 7 or Heyes
What do You think about it?
What should I choose?
What company and which model?
Which parts?
It should be Santa Cruz or something else?
Help me in my decision, please.............. :)
Kind Regards
Rafal (Ireland)

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
How about 2 separate bikes?

A secondhand rigid/road/hardtail for commuting and the pricey full susser for fun.

A long travel FS bike with offroad tyres is going to make a clunkey commuter, and a 4K bike is a thief magnet in any urban environment.

The brand is relatively unimportant- all the brands you mention have good bikes for all types of uses, so figure out what sort of riding you will be doing and how much travel you need first.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm a big Santa Cruz fan, and think you'd do fine on any of their bikes you mentioned, but don't get the DHX Air, for bigger guys the coil is superior (and same for the fork; personally I like the Fox36Van).

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
I'd look at the 5 Spot from Turner, or maybe a Flux. At 240 you will be fine on an rp23. Hard to beat the 5 Spot as one of the best all condition bikes around. If you were to do more road riding I'd lean towards the Flux, I ride mine on the road a bit and it does OK.

Santa Cruz makes some nice stuff as well.

Avids are fine brakes, but since you are in Europe you might also look at Magura--I love my Louise FR's.

Regardless, you really need to demo the bikes on dirt if possible.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,877 Posts
Can you buy insurance if you commute on it? It will be stolen unless you can bring it into work with you.

Can you buy a rack to reduce storage space required for 2 bikes? This might solve your space issue. If not, you could always leave a cheap bike locked up outside most of the time.

Commuting on a nice bike is a total waste, imo... I have a $5k mt bike, and a $300 Bianchi singlespeed to commute on (that I found on sale for $120 because its sparkly green)

If you're not sure exactly what you want, go for something that can handle everything, like a Nomad, Intense 6.6, or a Giant Reign X (NOT a regular Reign at your weight, you want the option for a coil shock). Lyric Coil U-turn will be a great fork for either of those. I'd stay away from light bikes like the Blur or Flux being a bigger guy anyway.

I like my Magura brakes better than the Hayes I had before, Avids felt too grabby. Again, since youre heavy, Louise FR or Gustav would be good. I use a Gustav front and Louise rear brake.

I'm very happy w/ my x9 drivetrain.

Stronger wheels would also be a good idea... no ultra light stuff there. Maybe Mavic 721 rims w/ Hadley, Hope, or CK hubs...

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I can't offer advice regarding specific bikes (I weigh 100lbs less than you!), but I have cycle commuted for years in three different countries and have thought a lot about bike theft.

As Dave mentions, if you commute regularly on a EUR4k bike, it will be stolen. The only exception to this is if you have 100% secure parking at both ends. Do you work in an building with bike-specific parking and manned security? Or can you bring the bike inside with you? A friend had his locked bike stolen from the Morgan Stanley carpark in Canary Wharf, London and that had cameras and security guards. (Then again, London is a particularly high theft area.)

There is no way to securely lock a bike if a thief is sufficiently determined, and even if the thief doesn't get through the locks, he'll destroy your wheels or frame trying.

Get two bikes, but make the commuter a EUR100 beater and leave it outside your flat. Wrap electrical tape around the tubes, use a good lock combination (high security rated D lock + a cable lock like the Abus steel-o-flex or the Kryponite chain). People are unlikely to want to steal a beater, and if the bike is damaged, then it's cheap to replace.

·
Registered
63 Posts
two bikes - best advice for more than one reason
first, how long is your commute??? and when???
i have always commuted to work and hate my full sus in the morning when i dont want to go and it sucks on the road, but on my way home i would take an alternate route to make it fun.
second, i had a roomate in college (4yrs ago) who used to be a bike thief (bad bad man) and he showed me how he could steal my bike in under 20 sec. with a kryptonite ''D'' type and chain lock. we video taped it and sent to kryptonite. they sent me and new ''d'' and chain.
i rent a student flat here in germany and while i dont sleep with my full sus, i can touch it while i am laying on my bed. if you have to, hang them on hooks.
lastly, get something with adjustable travel (coil and juice). you may set it and leave it, but you will never know until you try. BTW i am 5'10'' / 210 dry

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Was the Kryptonite one of the barrel-key ones that you could open with a plastic pen, or did your roomate use some other method?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About the Turner:
I know very well that this is reallllllly good brand but I heard from the guy who was a bike tester in

USA that those bikes are not so good as f.e. Cannondale, Scott, Intense, Santa Cruz, ...

Random Drivel thank for Your advice about Magura brakes :) I can halp me a lot :)

People, PLEASE don`t say me anything about insurance, secured my bike or this that my bike can be

stolen.It wasn`t my question and it`s not Your business but my own.
You can be shure that bike will not be stolen.
Better says me more about the bikes... It will be more halpful for me and for others new on this forum

:)

And one more time: NOT 2 BIKES BUT ONE
I don`t have place for two bikes and I don`t want to have a 2 bikes.

And now probably we can back to our discussion :)

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Point taken on the two bikes thing- I assume you know what you're on about.

Odd comment about the Turner though, and pretty much at odds with many other opinions on this forum.

What sort of terrain are you going to be covering offroad? I suspect that you should scratch Yeti off your list as the lineup probably wouldn't suit.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Eh... probably scratch the Yetis from your list then. Their medium/short travel stuff is pretty lightweight.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I can only comment on the 575 as I have one. The frame is really light at 5.7-6.2lbs for how much travel it has. It's fine for me, but I'd be kind of dubious about putting 240lbs on it.

The Titus Motolite is supposed to have a similar feel, but more lateral stiffness so that would be an alternative.

·
Registered
63 Posts
patriota, sorry about all the USELESS info on how not to get your bike stolen. was more responding to womble(kinda how this forum works). as a 200+ rider myself i suggest you go with a coil rear shock at minium. something from santa cruz, intense or rocky mountain would be better than the others on your list. the nomad has very good ''all around best single bike to own'' reviews. turners are a fantastic frame, just not the best for your size. i would suggest you try to post this question in the ''clydesdale'' forum. they specialize in larger riders. also you should say more than ''forrest'' and ''mountains'', like if you will climb hills, small or large dirt jumps, urban/street, logging roads, or technical (tree roots, rocks) things like this will help your search better. ''fast and hard, not fr/dh'', suggests to people hardtail or very little suspension. i am the biggest fan for adjustibility of suspension. have gone from a rock shox psylo to marz am1. i hear only good things about the pike u-turns. and i love my avid mech brakes. no maint. for you or to pay for and they can stop me great. hope this helps better than my last post. really check the ''clydesdale'' forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.