Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have very frequent problem... I don`t know what should I choose.
I`m looking for a normal bike just to ride to work but also to go to the forest or mountains (often).
I like fast and hard cycle but I`m not looking for anything to FR/DH.
The main problem is that I`m not a small fella
I`m 6'/240lb (1,83m/110kg).
Becouse of my weight I had a problem what should I choose to have a good fun and be safe.
Second thing is that there is so many really good brands that sometimes I`m completely disorientated.
I would like to choose something from the premium class bikes:
Santa Cruz, Intense, Yeti, Turner, Cannondale, Iron Horse and similar ...
I can spend max about 4.000 euro.
Many people said that I should choose bike from Santa cruz, they recommend Blut LT, Hackler and Nomad (Blur LT and Hackler with Rock Shox Pike 454 U-Turn and Nomad with Rock Shox Lyrik 2-Step Air in every option with Fox DHX 5.0 Air on rear).
About the rest parts...
I have some idea, my own:
Front fork:pike 454 U-Turn or Pike 454 U-Turn or something similar from Fox e.g. Talas 36
Drive:X-9, X-0
Brakes:Avid Juicy 7 or Heyes
What do You think about it?
What should I choose?
What company and which model?
Which parts?
It should be Santa Cruz or something else?
Help me in my decision, please..............
Kind Regards
Rafal (Ireland)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Foes FXR 2:1

If I had 4,000 Euros ($5,200 American Dollars) I would seriously look at a Foes FXR 2:1. One of my buddies has on of these and he loves it. I've had the opportunity to ride it and it was probably the best riding trail bike I have ever felt. NO flex, none! I'm 6' 220lbs so I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Plus, when you order one, the rear shock is custom valved to your weight and riding style...SWEET! I know there are dealers in the UK so check one out if you got the chance.

http://www.foesracing.com/mountainbikes.cfm?view=fxr07

:thumbsup:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
for light riding...more XC'ish...I would get the Heckler......the blur is just too lite for the heavy guys......a nomad woould be nice and an Specialized SX....also Intenses 5.5, 6.6 or Uzzi.....the Uzzi will be the most heavy duty.

I was at your spot 4 years ago.....I had 5,000 us.......I wanted to get a Foes....was all set on ordring one, but decided to up my skills a little better....I bought a used Big Hit for $1,800 us(best decision I ever made)....I beat the hell out of that bike and learned what I wanted in a bike...I love FSR suspension so when I went to buy the bike I really wanted I got FSR 26 inch in the back (Big HIt are 24 inch rear)

BTW I sold the Big hit for $1600.00 US

Bottom line.......you have a lot of money.......why don't you buy used and try stuff out before you drop massive amounts of money on a bike that may not fit your ridin style or taste

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm about the same as you and have an Enduro SX Trail. Its great as my only bike that does it all. Its pretty liberating not having to worry about my spindly old XC bike anymore. If you aren't looking for any kind of rough stuff, you can prolly go for something not as heavy duty and less travel, like a 5" trail bike such as a heckler or an ibex atlas or one of the other enduro models (I think the SX Trail is the only one that comes with a coil shock though).

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Hehehe... 5" trail / XC bikes....now that's my territory. I run a Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX myself (6', 240lb myself). Not as much travel and not as beefy as a Nomad...kinda like a Heckler but a little more on the XC side, so it has fairly long legs for running single track & trails plus my commuting to work / around town.

If you're after the more DH-esque type of stuff of the mountains or are fairly agressive, something beefier like a Nomad, 6.6 or Foes (maybe even an Ellsworth) would be a better choice. If you mostly going to be going to work and riding the without gobs of airtime, the Heckler would be a good bet and it will still do fairly decent for the occasional foray into the mountains. The Blur is too light for us....we'd break 'em.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 6"2" and about 240-245lb, and have just built up a 2005 Stumpjumper 120 Expert frame with all new components, including:
- '06 Rock Shox Revelation Air U-turn
- '06 X.0 long cage rear mech
- '07 X.9 shifters
- '06 XT front mech
- FSA K-force Carbon Cranks + Mega-Exo bb
- PG-990 cassette
- '06 Juicy Carbons with 185mm F&R
- FSA XC-100 wheelset

I use it for both commuting to work and mountain riding (XC/AM). So far (about 400km) it has been great, light and quick on the commute, and plenty of travel for the mountain riding. The Juicy Carbons are sensational... in fact, they stop too well, so well that I am swapping to 160mm rotors front and rear, because I just don't need the stopping power of the 185s. I am also going to get a better wheelset - Hope Pro II hubs on either Mavic XC717s or DT 4.2d rims.

My only gripe with the Stumpy is the Septune rear shock... it's pretty crap in it's stock form, so I'm sending it in to be Pushed as soon as I can. With your budget, I would get the 2006 or 2007 Stumpy with the Brain-Fade Shock, a much better option. Maybe even the S-works version. You could just get it stock, or build it from ebay for much less... thats what I did...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would go for a SC Heckler...
You put on a coilover shock / a nice wheelset that wont bend under you and your done ...super tough trailbike......
Not the most bling bling in terms of suspension design, but nevertheless .....IMHO totally under-appreciated
My 50cent:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Trailbikes for Clydes?

I am 6'4" and 220lb, riding a Gemini set up as a trailbike. Big, solid single pivot, 5th coil, and a Lefty Max. Great set up for me.

However, if I were in the spot that you are now, I would have to look in to the FXR 2.1 and the Nomad build kits.

Feel good about 32-36 pounds of STOUT under you, able to go anywhere.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
So the Intense 5.5 Pro is a good XC rig for a Clyde? (I don't do any big drops unless I didn't see them coming :))

My LBS guy is trying to sell me on one and is willing to do it for a hundred or so under MSRP including rebuilding my bike around it.

I'm 6'2" 270 now, but will treat myself to a new frame when I get down to 250 (they sell Foe's frames too, so that's also an option).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 6"/244 pnds and I just purchased an 07 Enduro. Looks pretty strong and I hear that it's a great bike. I will know for sure in a few days what the truth is, but I feel really confident with my decision right now.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.