Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving myself crazy - I need someone to tell me what to buy. I am in Charleston and will be riding at Kanawha State Forest and maybe one day enter some WVMTB races for fun. I know I want a 29er and want to spend under $1000 for my first mtb? I am so tired of researching. just tell me what to buy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
At the risk of being called a fan-boy, my Cannondale has been rock solid. Ridden lots & it still gets around just fine. I think there is a new model for a bit under 1K. Lotsa lotsa good riding in KSF just gotta look & ask around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! why not jump in with what you want. 29ers have a proven track record...er trail record. I have 3 26ers that haven't been ridden more than twice each in the 3 years I've had my 29er. I don't know this for sure but I don't think the OP is looking for a (oh here we go) a 'beginner' bike.

29er in KSF will give def cruisability and will be plenty agile and rugged.

Maybe we should ask (like a good shop) how the OP intends to ride. We know where. What we don't know is the age and current physical condition of the OP.

Why not a 29er?

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah building skills is good. Maybe he's already got a 26r and wants to explore what bigger wheels have to offer. Who knows. I still think he should look at what he wants. Must be a reason he asked about 29ers.

Come back wvtreehugger!!!!

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Matt 891 said:
no way should your first bike be a 29er
:skep: I don't agree. If you want a 29er get the one that fits you properly and is in your price range and go for it. I wish I had the money back that I spent on the 26 inch HT I purchased a year before going 29er. I would recommend going 29er HT and you can get in your price range. I got my son the Gary Fisher Mamba for less than $1000 and it's held up very well. You will eventually have to upgrade parts but that should be expected in that price range.

I ride an upgraded Gary Fisher Cobia and my 26" bike collect dust except when I need to pull my Bob Trailer. The Cannondale looks like a nice bike as well. I came close to buying that one however my son liked the feel and ride of the Gary Fisher better. Like I said, what fits you, feels good to you, and YOU like. That way you'll ride it.

ODN

·
Registered
551 Posts
Fwilpum said:
yeah building skills is good. Maybe he's already got a 26r and wants to explore what bigger wheels have to offer. Who knows. I still think he should look at what he wants. Must be a reason he asked about 29ers.

Come back wvtreehugger!!!!
..point taken

theyre all mountain bikes!! which is a good thing :thumbsup:

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
Although we have none under about $1300-we build from the frame up custom-my shop does only 29ers! Im in Bluefield butI have sold them allover the state-my humble opinion is that they is better in rocks and roots-that what our trails are-so they is better!
Shop around local-there is a shop that loves 29ers as much as us in your town! You will be in good Company!
Bz

·
Registered
148 Posts
WV MTB'n

Buy some really good tires...maybe a super tacky front tire, some fenders...and waterproof clothing...
Who cares If It's 26 or 29...you need to be ready for Wild, Wet and Muddy West Virginia(best state for riding, EVER) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I started on a 26", went 29er, never lookin' back. I agree new tires are almost a must as stock tires usually suck for the conditions you'll likely encounter in the Great State of WV.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Buy what your local shop carries. I tried to be different and had my local shop order something new. Nothing but headaches. Make sure it has a good warranty as well. I suggest a full suspension bike but to each their own.

Here's a good deal on a specialized 29'r. Disk brakes are also a real nice upgrade since you don't have to worry about rims being 100% true. And it's way under budget to allow for some riding gear (helmet a must!)

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=10Hardrock&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Capt_phun said:
29er is amazing in WV for all the rocks & roots. I was a diehard 26" full-squish racer, but after riding 29er, I can clear so much more than I could with baby tires (26).
I agree with this. I definitely could clear more things on my rigid Karate Monkey than I could with a front-suspended 26" hardtail.
Andy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.