Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What to buy Caffeine or Rush

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  plume 
#1 ·
I live in the midwest and plan to buy a new bike, and cannot decide between a caffeine or a rush. Midwest riding is strictly cross country. Does anyone now if the rush pedals well on pavement? The local trails close when they are wet, and 2/3 of my riding will be on pavement. I like the idea of the rush and the comfort of a full suspension, but question if it is overkill.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup: I live on the West Coast and do exactly the same riding as you, and I have a Rush 800. It suits my riding quite well, and there is nothing wrong with going for FS just for comfort. However, you may also consider the Scalpel because it is in between these two bikes, although it is a bit more expensive and is reportedly going to be replaced with a new model next year. Admittedly it is a bit of overkill most of the time, and I sometimes feel like a bit of a poser riding my Rush if that worries you. :D I have, however, bottomed out both the front and rear shocks which have a balanced 110 mm of travel many times while riding through potholes, over curbs, speedbumps, and just goofing around. It sure beats being hunched over the bars of your road bike all the time. ;)

#3 ·
The shop I work at sells Cannondale, so I have gotten saddle time on both bikes. I actually own a Caffiene and have ridden the different models of the Rush(carbon and aluminum) For the trails and all around riding, I would go w/ the Rush. I used to be hardcore hardtail w/ a suspension bike around to ride occassionally. But, lately on the longer rides, I have seen the benefit of having some extra cushion. For 2 hour + rides I would go w/ a full suspension. I am debating selling my Caffiene and building up a shorter travel full suspension bike for shorter rides.

#5 ·
My Rush improved its pavement pedalling a lot when I added the RP23 shock and the front suspension can be locked out. I suggest purchasing either slick tires for road riding or perhaps even having some wheels built up with road 700c rims and mountain/lefty hubs as wet pavement + knobby tires = disaster in corners, and the tires will wear out really quickly on pavement.

If your local trails are smooth or you dont tend to do rides of more than a couple of hours I would say the caffeine would be a better purchase. The 29'er as suggested earlier could be a great idea.

Kevin

#7 ·
jao123 said:
I live in the midwest and plan to buy a new bike, and cannot decide between a caffeine or a rush. Midwest riding is strictly cross country. Does anyone now if the rush pedals well on pavement? The local trails close when they are wet, and 2/3 of my riding will be on pavement. I like the idea of the rush and the comfort of a full suspension, but question if it is overkill.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
I am also from Iowa and roll the Rush all the time. Singletrack, gravel, paved trails, whatever. Set it up properly and the Rush rolls on pavement just fine. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
bikewrench said:
The clearance on the seatstays of the F29 is way bad. Especially w/ the Weirwolf tires that they spec. I wanted one, til I saw how close the tires were to the brace. I wouold have thought that Cannondale would have done some more homework.
I noticed that as well...The rep was there actually , said you didnt need much room, just enough for mud. But it was like less than a pinky on top of the tire..Then again I never roll that much mud on my rides, I am 'responsible'
CDT

#9 · (Edited)
I don't ride in mud all that much either, but if I am going to spend that kind of money, I would like a frame that was engineered for all conditions. Not an adaptation of a 26" platform to 29" wheels. My caffeine frame is the basically the same as the F29 w/ the exception of the longer chainstays to accomodate the larger wheel. The seatstay braces look to be in the exact same position. Poor planning on Cannondale's part. Also, some of the races that I have ridden have a muddy section or two requiring the clearance. I like Cannondales, but not so much to admit they dropped the ball on this model.

And no where did I say that one should ride trails in "muddy conditions" which results in the destruction of trails and closure. I merely stated an observation of a short coming in frame design.

#11 ·
The F29 has plenty of Mud clearance. Anyone go to Pedro's fest this year? Made it thru all that mud no problem. The clearance is tight but it does not clog even with the super tall stock Exiwolf tires. I am running 2.55 Weireolf LTs now and they have more vertical clearance than the Exis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.