Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thinking long and hard, I've decided to keep my BLT for daily trail riding (mostly XC) here in the San Jose. I still need a bigger hit bike for the occasional/regular trips to Downieville, Northstar and of course Demo. Not interested in the Nomad and need to decide between a used VP Free or used Bullit. Looking to spend no more than $2k for the bike and have found a number of options on Craigslist and the like.

Please help me decide.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I did demo alot with my former bullit.

My humble but bias personal opinion...You will hate riding up sulfer spring at demo forest on the bullit. On the way down Braille, I dont notice much between the single pivot and the VPP though. What year bullit are you thinking about?

Seeing that you are also thinking downeville and all, it might be ok

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
VP Free

turboox said:
After thinking long and hard, I've decided to keep my BLT for daily trail riding (mostly XC) here in the San Jose. I still need a bigger hit bike for the occasional/regular trips to Downieville, Northstar and of course Demo. Not interested in the Nomad and need to decide between a used VP Free or used Bullit. Looking to spend no more than $2k for the bike and have found a number of options on Craigslist and the like.

Please help me decide.
Hi turboox,

My buddy has a Bullit and a Nomad while I have a VP Free and a Specialized Enduro SL. We've ridden all four bikes at Downieville as a comparison. As a side note we've also ridden extensively at Auburn and Northstar as well as a few trips to Demo.

If you're going to ride your new bike at places like Downieville, much less Demo, then the following seems highly germane. We both thought the VP Free was much more "pedal friendly" than the Bullit. In that regard it wasn't even a close comparison. The VP Free will happily granny gear grind up quite a slope especially with full ProPedal engaged on my Fox DHX 5.0 Coil shock. The Bullit is a bit of a pig, especially with an 8" travel fork, when it comes to climbing. The Bullit does have some advantages but IMHO they have to do with hucking and ease of maintenance re: single pivot.

With all that said we both greatly prefer either the Nomad or the Specialized Enduro SL when it comes to trails like Demo or Downieville due to their climbing prowess combined with more than adequate descending ability. So far this season I have over 35 days on the VP Free but they've all been at Northstar and shuttling Auburn where the bike shines. I love the bike for this application and it's saved my bacon on many occasions.

Whatever you choose I hope you have a great time on your new bike!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roxie said:
You need to buy a new, never built, large, red Bullit frame and build it yourself. Just happen to have one at a great price if interested.
Unfortunately I need a medium and would like to find one that compliments my trusty steed. Based on what I've read, I think I am leaning towards a used VP given that I need all the help I can get climbing out of Demo as well as Downieville. I've thought about the Nomad but still can't justify the difference between it and the BLT. Especially since I plan on keeping both.

Attachments

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
surfacenuts said:
I'm in so cal. Can you tell me what Downieville, Northstar and Demo are in case I come north for some riding. Many thanks, Nick
Hi Mr. Nuts,

They're obviously all places to ride and the "search" feature will get you all the details you could ever want to know about any of them. Have fun on your trip to NorCal!

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
The built climbs just fine if you have the right spring and climb sitting down. I have ridden Downieville many times with it. I put the Rohloff hub on it, so that build would be out of your price range. BTW if you go up to D-ville let me know. I will use any excuse to go there I can get!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
surfacenuts said:
I'm in so cal. Can you tell me what Downieville, Northstar and Demo are in case I come north for some riding. Many thanks, Nick
In Socal terms, Northstar is to Big Bear.
Downieville is to ...this is hard....is unique, something about 18 miles of downhill.

Demo is kind of like Castaic lake or Corriganville in Simi Valley. If I had a mountain bike magazine, I did do many of my bike testing at Demo forest , aka Soquel Demonstration Forest.

Also, you should consider this place known as UC. Is a university campus located in the region where this brand of bike is made.

We are forbidden to talk about it in the NorCal forum. But if you search you will find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. I think I've decided on the Free over the Bullit. However, I just found a great deal on a v10(classic). Now I've got to decide a dedicated DH or a FR/DH rig. I suppose the 10" of travel on the v10 should be able to soak up and drops or stunts but may be too much bike to pedal when flat or uphill.

Anyone with any experience/thoughts they care to share?

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Definitely the VP Free over the V-10!

turboox said:
Thanks for all the input. I think I've decided on the Free over the Bullit. However, I just found a great deal on a v10(classic). Now I've got to decide a dedicated DH or a FR/DH rig. I suppose the 10" of travel on the v10 should be able to soak up and drops or stunts but may be too much bike to pedal when flat or uphill.

Anyone with any experience/thoughts they care to share?
Hi turboox,

I have over 60 days on the VP Free over the last two seasons and only one day on a V-10 but to me there is no question on the right answer if you need to pedal on the flats much less pedal uphill! The following is from a thread on the SC forum that covers this issue in detail:

"Perhaps, (and this goes to the heart of your question), because the v10 has almost 10" of travel, and about 4" of normal sag, they set the bike up this way to have optimum geometry when sagged. I notice the bb is also listed at 14.8", which is high until you actually sag the bike, at which time it becomes a DH race bike. The sag is really (all other things being equal), what kills you when climbing, I think. Nothing worse than wallowing around inside 4-5" of travel both positive and negative, it really saps your power.

The bike is not meant to go uphill, head angle aside. It is a heavy frame, designed for a 150mm rear spacing, (heavy), and is in general, not designed to pedal up hill. You of course "could" pedal anything uphill if you are strong enough, its not like it "can't" pedal uphill, but why would you want to when there are so many other frames out there that do that better?"

Here is the entire thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=484269

In fact I believe the Bullit would be superior to the V-10 when it comes to pedaling uphill. I'm sure others with more experience on the Bullit and the V-10 will be able to answer this question better that I.

Good Luck,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.