Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the deal. Big boy (270lbs) on big bike ('02 RFX) needs big tires. Riding is AM/Urban/FR/DH...in that order. Local trails have lots of rocks (lots of rocks), and have some downhills that I want the security of a substantial tire. More on that later.

Rims are Mavic EX823's. I'm really having trouble deciding on tires. I've asked a few questions about tires (and have gotten helpful answers), but I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on what they think'll be right for me. Well, maybe not everyone's opinion, just those who have a clue. ;)

First decision to make - tubed or tubeless:

Tubeless
Pros
  • Better traction from (hopefully) being able to run lower pressures
  • No tube to pinch
  • If I run heavy DH tires there's no extra weight from a tube
Cons
  • Never ran tubeless before and what I don't know, I fear...therefore I'm afraid of tubeless (not really, but I have questions of, "is it really as safe as running a tubed tire?")
  • Pain in neck to install
  • Need to buy an air compressor for the house (not a big deal, compressors are cool :D )

Tubed
Pros
  • I'm confident in the safety and stability of a tubed tire
  • They're a little cheaper (sometimes) than their UST counterpart
  • More choices in tire models, tread patterns, etc
Cons
  • Can't run as low a pressure, therefore not as much traction
  • Greater chance of pinch flats
  • If I run heavy DH tires, the tube adds a little weight

Tubed is the easy way out, just pick a set that everyone likes and install 'em. If tubeless will be an advantage and it's safe for me, then I want to do that. Let me know what your thoughts are on that.

I plan on running one set of tires for all my riding, so no "trail day tire" and "DH day tire", because some of my trail riding has trails that I want to run a DH tire on.

Weight is not super important, but I am considering weights. I'm currently running Motoraptor 2.4 Comps on my HT, they're 920g, plus another 200g for the tube, I'm already at over 1100g in tire/tube combo. So 1300-1400g tires will be OK. My new wheels are lighter than my current ones, so the "rotating weight equation" will even out. I don't, however, want to pull a Fo' and end up with 1600g tires. That's just silly. :p

Tires choices (in no particular order):
  • Maxxis High Roller 2.5 (UST or regular)
  • Schwalbe Big Betty (probably not available until February, which is longer than I want to wait.)
  • WTB Timberwolf 2.5 (not the DH version)
  • Michelin Comp 16 2.5 front, Michy Comp 24 2.5 rear (leaning towards tubeless with this set-up)
  • Kenda Nevegal 2.5 (don't trust the 2.3 sidewall)
  • Hutchinson Barracuda 2.5 UST MRC medium MX casing (whew, that's a long model name)
  • Continental Diesel 2.5
  • Nokian Gazza-something-or-other G UST 2.6

Any thoughts on any of the above (or anything else) are more than welcome. Especially consider my size and riding, and how a tire may perform for me specifically. Thanks in advance for any input.

Patrick

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
PC, for your terrain, I'd run a 2.5 Nevy in the single ply up front with 40 psi, and a dual ply Highroller in the rear with 40 psi. Tubed front and rear. The Highroller has excellent pinch flat resistance, and hooks up in corners, and braking. It is rare that I ever pinch flat in the front, and that is why I run a singleply up front. The Nevy corners very well, and the 2.5 is nice and wide. Just my 2 pesos.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I ride in the North East and have ridden in your neck of the woods (rothrock) - since you have UST rims go with UST tires - plenty of "clydes" do - I would recommend getting UST high rollers and putting a scoop of stans in and running 35-38psi in the back and 32-35psi up front - and you know wht if it sucks (which I bet it won't) you can go to your lbs and buy 2 different tires and 2 new tubes and sell me the high rollers...but you should experiment and find whats right for you....FWIW I like Nevegals but they wear out in 10 rides.........

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
FM said:
Skip the all-mountain party balloon phase.

Michelin comp 24 DH, 2.5's, tubeless with stans. :thumbsup: :arf: :cornut:
Excellent match with the 823's....I can guarantee you will experience few if any flats, and a substantial increase in confidence.
those tires are ghey...what are they, a mere 1400 grams? :p

dude, get some real tires, dual-ply Intense 2.7 EX DH up front at 1492 grams and if you REALLY feel like a man, get the FRO version which is a 4-ply and God knows how much they weigh :thumbsup:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
SSINGA said:
Fo has some Intense tires he'll sell you-cheap!
dude...i now have 3 tires plus the 2 on the bike that I dont know what to do with that I have obtained since getting the bike....not to mention the Advantages i got rid of...what a friggin loser!

having said that, the Intense tires work cause the sidewall graphics have white and red in it to match my bike....so perhaps they will stay on the bike

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll never succomb to tubeless. I like the old schraders. I can go years without a flat - yeah, I just jinxed myself. Been on the kenda kick lately. Running the nevi 2.35 front, kinetic 2.35 rear. Totally content with this setup for southeastern kickin' around and mountain riding...

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FM said:
Skip the all-mountain party balloon phase.
I'm guessing you're referring to the Advantage and Big Betty's (and the Motoraptors that I'm currently running).

FM said:
Michelin comp 24 DH, 2.5's, tubeless with stans. :thumbsup: :arf: :cornut:
Excellent match with the 823's....I can guarantee you will experience few if any flats, and a substantial increase in confidence.
So Comp 24 F & R, huh? No Comp 16 up front ? Only reason I ask because that's the combo I've been reading about around town (on the forums and here).

The Highrollers seem like a good option, that's not the first time I've had someone recommend them for the terrain around here. The 2.5 UST HR only comes in super-tacky, and I'm concerned about quick wear. I'd to make it through much of this upcoming season on this set of tires, especially if they're gonna end up costing me $90+ for the pair. If May rolls around and I have to say to my wife, "honey, I need to drop another $100 on tires" she's gonna drop me. ;)

As you can tell I ain't got a clue when it comes to tires.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
  • Maxxis High Roller 2.5 (UST or regular)
  • Schwalbe Big Betty (probably not available until February, which is longer than I want to wait.)
  • WTB Timberwolf 2.5 (not the DH version)
  • Michelin Comp 16 2.5 front, Michy Comp 24 2.5 rear (leaning towards tubeless with this set-up)
  • Kenda Nevegal 2.5 (don't trust the 2.3 sidewall)
  • Hutchinson Barracuda 2.5 UST MRC medium MX casing (whew, that's a long model name)
  • Continental Diesel 2.5
  • Nokian Gazza-something-or-other G UST 2.6
PCnC

How could ya leave off the Minions

I run Minions on my RFX V2 they kick arse, I like em better than the Nevs and BG maybe my ride style, they roll better the front is the best cornering and grippest tire Ive had, I even ride the skinies in the wet brakes great and rolls fast.

imo hawt setup DH R in the rear 60a 2.5 DH F 2.5 3C ya could even go 2.7 they tend to be small compared to the Kendas.

Also Iron Horse have been speccing there bikes with the DH F at the front and rear interesting guys seem to be liking it Cedric that crazy french man started this trend last year, I like the DH R at the rear I find it rolls fast for me and to me thats important the Turners put the power to the ground so well I don't worry too much about rear tire grip though these also grip well.

Minions 3C triple compound 2 ply no weanie tire don't let the weight fool ya either they kil my kevlar beaded 800 gram 2.5 kendas.

I wanted Big Betty's but like you Im still waiting who knows but now I don't care the Mins will stay to they fall off:thumbsup:

My 2c

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
PCinSC said:
I'm guessing you're referring to the Advantage and Big Betty's (and the Motoraptors that I'm currently running).

So Comp 24 F & R, huh? No Comp 16 up front ?

The Highrollers seem like a good option, that's not the first time I've had someone recommend them for the terrain around here.
OK....Currently I have a maxxix high-roller 2.35 on my XC bike, and a Michelin comp 16 2.5 (F) and Hutchinson Octopus 2.35 (medium compound) (R) on the highline. All three tires have pretty much the exact same tread pattern & profile. The differences are the casings and weight. The hutchinson and Michy are pretty close in weight, size & stickiness, while the maxxis is really like a 2.1 and lighter, but also harder rubber.

For wet conditions, I like the high-roller/16/octopus tread pattern. The comp 16/octpus combo in particular has been awesome.

Spring and fall, I go to the comp 24 in back. It's bigger and cushier, better on rocks and for fast dry conditions. It's also heavier and clogs up. I don't like the round profile much on wet rock.

For summer, it's the comp 24's F&R all the way.... yeah they're slow and heavy for XC, but I've gone entire seasons with no flats. They are sticky, especially on dry cedar and rock. The size and profile are perfect for pretty much all kinds of dry technical conditions. The rubber is kinda soft so I woudn't ride lots of pavement if you can avoid it. The casings are incredibly durable. Buddies will vouch, I've ridden the shore in wet conditions with these tires tubeless and <20psi. So low they are literally wrapping themselves around wet roots and rock ledges. This year I learned how to ride with more than 20psi.

ANyways, obviously I like the michelins! :thumbsup:

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Not that anyone needs an update (heck, this build is taking so long I barely give a sh1t at this point :eek: ), but I finally decided on tires and picked up a set of these Hutchinson Octopus Tech+ 2.5" UST's from Nashbar. They seem to be well-like by users and they were cheap, so I figured for less than half the cost of the Michelins I was considering they're worth a try. They should work well especially during the wet part of the beginning of this season.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
so what are we picking out this month? maybe grips? :D:p

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dHarriet said:
so what are we picking out this month? maybe grips? :D:p
Would you believe it, everything else has been decided upon! Just gotta figure out stem length (using the 70, 90 and 110mm stems I've got on hand) and then I'll be purchasing a Thomson. Everything else is on hand or on order. Last thing is to Push the shock, that's what's scheduled for this month. I'm getting excited.

Grips are Lizard Skins Logo Lock-ons in case you are wondering.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
PCinSC said:
Would you believe it, everything else has been decided upon!
:eekster: wow...i would have never guessed! :eek:
pretty cool that it's finally coming together! :D:thumbsup: :D fire up that red couch!

·
Registered
200 Posts
You are going to love Octopus !
I run them in 2.5 UST on my Bullit since 6 months and they are fantastic in every terrain I've tried em. They hook up similar to Super Tacky Maxxis', but roll 2x better and last 5x longer. These tires are so underrated, you can get them cheap and laugh about it all year long !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.