Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Stumpjumper that I built. I currently have Hutchinson Bulldogs on them and I think they don't hook up at all.. Lots of scary times during turns on loose dirt. So I need your help. Please recommend a good set of tires that work well.

Please provide
1. Year of Stumpy
2. Fork brand and model
3. Brand, mode,l and size of tires
4. Riding Experience
5. Type of Riding (are u a xc rider or am rider? and please add the duration of your ride because some tires have better bump compliance)
6. Type of trail conditions do u ride on (pave road, loose dirt, loose rocks, ruts, mud, fireroad, singletrack, or do u really jump over stumps)
7. tell me about the tires and the recommended tire pressure (are they crap garbage or great tires)?
8. Maybe where u can get the tires at a reasonable price!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. 2006 Stumpjumper
2. Fox Fork Talas RLC (love this thing!)
3. Hutchinson Bulldogs 26 x 2.35
4. Been riding since October 2005, missed only one weekend cuz I went to Vegas
5. I think I ride more in the XC category, haven't really attempted drops yet! on the weekend I ride of for 3 hours but during the weekdays about an hour
6. mostly fireroad trails some singletrack (need to find more singletracks) trails are usually combo of loose and packs dirt, some rocks
7. Hitchinson bulldogs are crap! I lose traction on loose dirt (not as easy when I dropped the tire pressure to 30 psi, but now it slows me done on climbs tradeoff I'm willing to do)
8. got it off a build kit from WheelWorld.com I think WheelWorld sell them for $10 a piece! if u need a ten dollar tire these will do but if you need traction avoid these tires!!

·
Weapon of Choice
801 Posts
05 StumpFSR Expert with Talas RLC, Im using a 2.2 resolution specialize in the front and a rear kenda kinetic 2.25. I love the front tire cuz it tracks well and rolls good, compared to the kenda Nevagal anyway, light too and great volume. BTW it last a long time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
05 stumpy 120
talas, rlc
i ride xc races, technical ascents, descents, rocky long trails
every possible terrain except for mud (i live in AZ water doesnt fall from above).
specialized fast trax 2bliss 26 x 2.0, will probably never use anything else
35 psi in front, 40 in rear. they are beautiful.
south mountain cycles has them for cheap, but they are a LBS. 45 apeice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iceman and pwrtrainer,

What do u think the strengths and weakneses are of your tire combination are?

the hutchinson bulldogs strengths are they are pretty light for 26 x 2.35 correct me if i'm wrong but I saw around 620 grams on the hutchinson website

but they're weakness are they don't descend very well. traction is questionable on loose condtions

and thanks for your response to this thread

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
1. 2005 Stumpjumper Disc
2. Fox F80RL
3. Panaracer FireXCPro 2.1 w/ conti ultralight presta valve tubes

I run them at around 55 to 59 psi. Recommeded on the side walls are 35 to 55. I like the lower rolling resistance and I have no problems with traction on steep climbs. Cornering is decent in all except for loose sandy soil.

Most of the riding I do is single track climbs and decents in very rooted and off camber compacted trails. Sometimes there are rock gardens to navigate, nothing hardcore. Mix of wet, dry, sandy, pine needles you name it. Oh and I love the tires. Bought them based on the MTBR.com review. They reviews were bang on accurate.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
1. See below
2. fox 120 RL float
3.Tioga red Phoenix
4.17 years mtn. biking
5. XC
6. All types
7. Good tires considering the weight. I mean, I wouldn't want to compete in a downhill on them, but for XC conditions they are great.
8. HArd to find.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Convert

1. 06 Stumpy Pro
2. Fox talus rlc
3. Spec Fast Track. (converted w/stan's) Tubless casing in the rear. Regular casing in Front.
4. A long time.
5. XC, Super D,
6.Dry hardpack and loose over hard pack. Desert. Mountain single track. No Mud out here in the desert.
7. 30 psi. in front and 32 psi in rear. 145 lbs Finess rider.
8. Online = good price. But Local bike shop is the best way to go. They can give you advise about what other people are using. Create a good relationship with somebody and they will hook you up. Start with the place you bought your bike.
9. Convert your tires to tubless. This will help any tire. I swear by it and have been racing and riding converted tires for three years.

·
MTB'er
653 Posts
1. 2006 Stumpy Carbon
2. Fox Float XTT
3. Maxxis Crossmark LUST 2.1
4. +5 years
5. 40% XC, 60% Trail riding
6. All kinds of stuff
7. Great tires, corner well, roll fast, good grip but not designed for mud (even though, they perform decent oon muddy conditions).
8. eBay

·
Weapon of Choice
801 Posts
r6ryder said:
Iceman and pwrtrainer,

the hutchinson bulldogs strengths are they are pretty light for 26 x 2.35 correct me if i'm wrong but I saw around 620 grams on the hutchinson website

but they're weakness are they don't descend very well. traction is questionable on loose condtions

Ive been trying alot of combos, front rear tires, kenda stickys, cinder, enduros by spec, resolution by spec in various sizes. I always come back to the 2.2 resolution in front, it is for me the best all round. Aside for being a bit heavy for the rear, The 2.35 kenda rear specific kinetic. It works great, tracks good on steep rocky root like terrain and in DTC its holding fine.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
r6ryder said:
Iceman and pwrtrainer,

just like iceman ive used alot of different combos from wtb (worthless tires bro) to panaracer, the strengths of the setup i use is even though they are 2.0 width, they still have the traction of the fire 2.35s i used. the amazing thing is that even though the tire is a fast rolling one it has much better traction. in loose/rocky conditions. ive found that a knobby isnt always the best tire, riding over babyheads requires a higher tpi than people think and the fast trax have it. the panaracer fires i used just seemed too wide for long climbs and too much tire on the technical stuff. the fast trax are great at descending as well, they do not slip, it is amazing because of the very low profile, but they stick always. i have a tubeless setup and do alot of hard landings so thats why i have a higher psi in the rear (40) ive had one tire burp and that is what made me raise the pressure, nothing since. but keep in mind i also have a pretty good wheelset (mavic 819 and chris king hubs). i also ran the same tire when i had tubes, just the non tubeless version. loved them as well. the only weakness ive found with either setup is the break in period if riding anywhere near sand. they are so sticky that they spray rocks and sand everywhere for the first couple miles, with the shock placement this can become an issue, but thats why i have the fender. oh yeah if you go for these be prepared for the non existent rolling resistance. they are very very fast. god thats a long response, sorry:D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
1. 2006
2. Base Stumpy with Fox Float
3. Specialized Adrenaline/Resolution 2.0 (Front) | Panaracer Cinder 2.25 (Rear)
4. 1.5 years (only about once or twice a week :( )
5. XC right now. I am slowly developing my skill to tackle the bigger stuff.
6. Smooth singletrack to rocky rooty singletrack
7. I love this combination. The Adrenaline rolls great and hooks up in the turns. The Cinder is the grip king and grabs everything. I run the Adrenaline at 36 and the Cinder at 40. Although the Adrenaline is 2.0 and the Cinder 2.25, the Adrenaline is much taller and wider than the Cinder.
8. I picked up two Cinders at Performance for $38. The Adrenaline came stock. Once my current set wears out, I have another to fall back on.

BTW, another tire I was considering was the Hutchinson Spider. I have read lots of good reviews about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great tips... thanks everybody for your helpful post. But i've noticed that almost everyone is running tires 2.25 or less. I'm currently 2.35 on my bike, so my question is am I putting monster truck tires on my Ferrari?? Should I bump down in size or is this a preference thing? BTW I weigh in around 190 lbs, does this have anything to do with tire size?

Thanks, your comments and opinions are much appreciated!!
Bobby, a newbie Stumpy rider

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Please provide
1. Year of Stumpy 04 Stumpy 100 with Pushed Float R
2. Fork brand and model Pushed Talas
3. Brand, mode,l and size of tires Currently: Conti Gravity rear, Intense System 4 2.25 up front
4. Riding Experience Yes
5. Type of Riding All mountain
6. Type of trail conditions do u ride on (pave road, loose dirt, loose rocks, ruts, mud, fireroad, singletrack, or do u really jump over stumps)
7. tell me about the tires and the recommended tire pressure (are they crap garbage or great tires)? I run pressures in the mid 30's
8. Maybe where u can get the tires at a reasonable price! No good answer, I get them all over

·
Registered
49 Posts
1. Year of Stumpy 1996
2. Fork brand and model Spesh DirectDrive rigid cromo or Manitou SXR
3. Brand, mode,l and size of tires Spesh Team Control 2.0/Master 1.9 Armadillo combo
4. Riding Experience 10 years
5. Type of Riding (are u a xc rider or am rider? and please add the duration of your ride because some tires have better bump compliance) XC up to day ride
6. Type of trail conditions do u ride on (pave road, loose dirt, loose rocks, ruts, mud, fireroad, singletrack, or do u really jump over stumps) tarmac, gravel, singletrack, no mud
7. tell me about the tires and the recommended tire pressure (are they crap garbage or great tires)? Running at 45PSI Bulletproof but rear tyre down to the TWI at 350 miles of light riding Swapping for Michelin XCR Drys (2.0)
8. Maybe where u can get the tires at a reasonable price! Discontinued last year Michelins came from Wiggle at fifty quid a pair

·
Registered
774 Posts
1) 2006 FSR Pro
2) Michelin XCR Dry "2" Front & Rear 2.0
3) If I need more cornering grip I use the 2.0 Michelin XCR Mud in loose conditions
4)Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 if I need more corning grip on loose over hard pack as the knobbys don't roll over as easy as the Muds
5) Another good tire is the Maxxis advantage 2.1in front and Cross Mark 2.0 in the rear

Don't let the name mud bother you they were called a " X LS" for years they are the fastest rolling full knob I tested on a little gravity hill I test the rolling resistence on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.