Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, building a new bike and trying to decide on tires.
I mostly ride the wiss, but also ride white clay, nox and raystown.
Currently running.
26x2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf F/R
29x2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf F, 29x2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic R
29x2.4 Maxxis DHF F, 29x2.4 Maxxis DHR II R

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Just put a 29x2.5 Maxxis DHF (front) and 2.5 Aggressor (rear) on my new bike.

Few rides on them, and I can't quite figure them out. The Aggressor seems ok in the rear, but the DHF so far has me not to confident in the front end. I just put my long time favorite XR4 (2.35) on the front. I have zero complaints about the XR4, so we shall see how it goes next ride.

I find the front so far has been a bit unpredictable in cornering. I think the square shape and odd knob rows dont lend themselves to hard-ish terrain with tons of loose stuff over very firm ground.
I had multiple odd control losses and two very serious front end knife ins.
I have never had a front end knife before, so that's got me unnerved. Perhaps if the terrain was softish, like where you can see light to moderate tread imprints, the DHF would feel better.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,816 Posts
The 2.5 DHF and 2.5 Aggressor is a little overkill in PA unless riding some aggressive stuff. At Micheux I would run a DHR2 WT 3C front and a 2.3 Aggressor or DHR2 WT DC rear. Schwalbe seems to wear a little fast but the Addix compounds are more durable. I think a good combo would be Hans front/ Dissector rear overall in PA for trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The problem is that places like Nox and White clay are smooth and are best served by light, fast rolling tires. The Wiss has more rocks and can rip up light tires. I used to love the old Mountain kings for those trails. Rolled fast and the protection casing worked well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Michelin Wild Rock'r 2 is a great alternative to a DHF (which I also use). Both for front, about to try the Michy on the rear as well.

the Minion SS (semi slick) is also a great tire for a lot of the smoother trails around here, and still gives great cornering. i've heard the e13 SS tire is comparable, but gives slightly more traction overall.

can't go wrong with the classic DHF. high roller's are also a good option.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Bronson V2: 2.3 DHF up front, 2.3 DHRII rear.
V10.6: 2.5 Assegai up front, 2.4 DHRII rear.

I’ve found these setups to be pretty optimal for my riding, but I do prioritize grip. I can’t imagine going with less grip out back even on the trail bike. Favorite places to ride are the blue mountain, Glen Park, and some semi-secret trails near my house.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bronson V2: 2.3 DHF up front, 2.3 DHRII rear.
V10.6: 2.5 Assegai up front, 2.4 DHRII rear.

I've found these setups to be pretty optimal for my riding, but I do prioritize grip. I can't imagine going with less grip out back even on the trail bike. Favorite places to ride are the blue mountain, Glen Park, and some semi-secret trails near my house.
DHF front / DHRII rear is a hard combo to beat.

How are you liking the assegai in comparison to the DHF?

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
DHF front / DHRII rear is a hard combo to beat.

How are you liking the assegai in comparison to the DHF?
I've only ridden the Assegai on my DH bike and we have yet to have wet sloppy weekend ride conditions this year, but barring drastically different performance in the wet than the DHF, I don't forsee myself ever going back to a DHF up front. The Assegai is just so grippy throughout the entirety of its radius without the vagueness in transition as it's leaned over that can be felt on the DHF. I suspect the DHF may clear mud a little better due to the lug spacing, but I estimate the difference likely isn't great enough to outweigh the benefits of the lug contact throughout its crosssectional radius. It also seems as if it's a little better braking. I can't really tell a difference in rolling resistance, but I can't say I rode the two back to back to tell either.

For reference, most riding conditions are loose shale, loose over hard, and the occasional loam.

On a trail bike I have yet to try the Assegai, I'll likely pick one up after I run through my stock of dhf's, though it tends to be a heavier tire. Just note that he Assegai is definitely overkill if your someone riding more XC-sequel terrain and less gravity-oriented/enduro style riding.

Local717, though I haven't tried it in the rear, the lug pattern definitely seems to brake more powerfully than a DHF.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've only ridden the Assegai on my DH bike and we have yet to have wet sloppy weekend ride conditions this year, but barring drastically different performance in the wet than the DHF, I don't forsee myself ever going back to a DHF up front. The Assegai is just so grippy throughout the entirety of its radius without the vagueness in transition as it's leaned over that can be felt on the DHF. I suspect the DHF may clear mud a little better due to the lug spacing, but I estimate the difference likely isn't great enough to outweigh the benefits of the lug contact throughout its crosssectional radius. It also seems as if it's a little better braking. I can't really tell a difference in rolling resistance, but I can't say I rode the two back to back to tell either.

For reference, most riding conditions are loose shale, loose over hard, and the occasional loam.

On a trail bike I have yet to try the Assegai, I'll likely pick one up after I run through my stock of dhf's, though it tends to be a heavier tire. Just note that he Assegai is definitely overkill if your someone riding more XC-sequel terrain and less gravity-oriented/enduro style riding.

Local717, though I haven't tried it in the rear, the lug pattern definitely seems to brake more powerfully than a DHF.
good to know. this is in line with what i've heard from others on the assegai. ever since i stopped racing DH im not trying new stuff anywhere near as much, so i have to go on feedback from other riders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.