Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still getting used to my 2018 SB5's tires .... 2.3 Agressor in back and a 2.5 DHF in front

I'm not a fan ( yet ) of the DHF.... Just don't have confidence, in loose over hard terrain

Looking forward to your comments

·
EDR
10,501 Posts
I'm still getting used to my 2018 SB5's tires .... 2.3 Agressor in back and a 2.5 DHF in front

I'm not a fan ( yet ) of the DHF.... Just don't have confidence, in loose over hard terrain
Interesting. Maybe experiment with a lower or higher tire pressures. I ride in Phoenix, almost exclusively loose over hardpack and the dhf is a prime choice for most anyone out here that isn't trying to weight-weenie it
I run a 2.5 WT exo/TR myself up front. No longer on a Yeti but that makes little difference.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Front: Shorty 2.5WT 3C/EXO MAXX TERRA
Rear: DHF 2.5WT 3C/EXO MAXX TERRA

I’ve been running this combo for years and it does the job everywhere. I ride loose, rocky terrain!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Front DHF 2.5 (Have a 2.5 assgesi for park days)
Rear 2.3 DHR or Highroller 2 (like both of those over the agressor) Get DD though

·
Registered
3,477 Posts

It's literally the best tire made for those conditions... Also probably the most used in racing fields and most copied by other tire companies. Look at the Butcher and the Aquila, just to name a couple off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
HR2 front, Aggressor rear on the SB100. Not a fan of the DHF as it feels unpredictable at the limit for the way I ride. HR2 sticks like glue in all conditions and has predictable characteristics at the limit. When the Aggressor is in need of replacement, I'll more than likely throw the spare 2.3 DHF(that came stock on the SB100) on the rear since it seems like a good rear tire for how I like my bike to ride.

Not a fan of DHF-style tread patterns in general. I'm more of a Magic Mary tread pattern(and variants) kind of guy. I also like the HR2 tread pattern, though it's not copied as much as the DHF or MM. Anything with sharp, skinny knobs, I like.

Once these tires are done, I'll look at other brands to broaden my portfolio of tires used. Looking at Conti Der Barons front and rear or Vittoria Morsas front and rear. I'd like a tougher casing but still weighs 1000g or less but not go full enduro.

·
Registered
291 Posts
DHR 2.5 up front and DHR2 2.4 WT on my SB130. Not a big fan of the aggressor as much as I want to be, just don't get any traction when it is wet or dry / loose. The DH2 on the rear however is a game-changer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was washing out the front in the same conditions and Maxxis suggested Rekon front and rear. I do a decent amount of lift days and didn't want to swap tires out so I just left the stock tires on and fixed my riding position instead. Problem solved :)

·
Registered
259 Posts

Hey mate this isn't a tire problem. As others have said, pressure or something with your position. Literally one of the best tires out there. Or maybe expecting too much? There's only so much grip in some conditions. Have you ridden other tires in similar conditions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have tried the DHF and DHR2 on the front of my Yeti sb55 on lots of loose over hard here in Tahoe. I really enjoyed both tires but recently switched to a WTB Vigilante 2.6 and am really liking it so far. The main difference I can tell is that the Vigilante has transition knobs which act a little different than the DHF style. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
The main difference I can tell is that the Vigilante has transition knobs which act a little different than the DHF style. Worth checking out.
That is the key... riders who aren't used to having that "dead zone" of the DHF (that open channel between center and side knobs) will find it un-nerving, especially in loose over hard. You need to aggressively lay the bike over in corners or you won't get the benefit. Less aggro riders are better off on tires with more transition knobs like the Vigilante or the Hans Dampf.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
EDR
10,501 Posts
I'll also add this. Nothing really grips super well in the front when dealing with crushed granite over hard pack like I ride every day. The DHf just seems to be the best of the bunch. Plus here in Phoenix it's super rocky on a lot of trails and these tires hold up pretty well. Going up to northern Arizona in the pines I can't believe the traction I can get in the front compared to down here in the Valley.

So to sum it up, it's a condition you just have to learn to deal with and temper your speed going in the corners. It is what it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.