110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And:
-weight?
-tire size?
-style of riding?
-local terrain?
-tubes?

I know everyone is different but just curious!

·
EMBA Member
536 Posts
27.5" Schalbe Nobby Nic All Mountain Tubed. I discovered I was running my pressure way low, about 20 lbs. I am running an experiment now to see if this low pressure had any effect on the amount of flats I was getting which was considerable. I have pumped them up to 40 psi (54 max rating) which feels way too hard I think. I am going to run them that way for a while and see what happens then lower them by 2 pounds to see where I end up. I have heard these are good tires but I haven't been impressed with them yet. Slim

·
Registered
11 Posts
27.5 TIRES
2.1 up front at 28 pounds
2.35 in back at 30 pounds
I weigh 160 , ride trails with lots of roots , log overs , and tight turns , some drop offs . Many ride less pressure than myself , but this is what works for me , my tires were sliding out , the back especially , when on a wet trail , and were harder to pedal with lower pressures . I run tubes , hans damp in back , an ardent up front , getting ready to run a michilin in front

·
Registered
6 Posts
29 inch tires; Maxxis Ardent Tubeless. I weigh 200 and usually run about 30 in the back and 28-30 in the front. I used to run 40 and found that my front end washed out often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just went for a ride , got bounced around alittle more than normal , new tires , gona try 28 lbs front an rear and turned the rebound in on my front shock aways , it was too fast Im assuming

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,761 Posts
155lbs numbers below. I am fatter than that now, due to injury and lazy and some di*khead keeps putting ben&jerrys in my bag when out shopping

working on getting down to 160, but whatev...
----------------------------------------------------------------

road bike anywhere from 80-180

80 on gravel
90-120 road, depending in how sore I am and pavement condition
140-180 when I time trial, 140 on regular roads, 180 on smooth new roads
yeah 180 is pushing it but I have a pump and the tires to do so. bike
rolls very very far on 19mm 180 teeth-chatterer

mtb

30 psi pretty much does everything, will go 45 if not much gnar
35 usually for 1.9 tires, 30 for 2.1 or bigger

CX

60-90 depends on course

fatbike

7-20 depends on conditions

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suppose I could post in my own thread
-35 back, 32 front
-160 lbs
-26" 2.2
-XC
-Single track, roots and occasional rocks
-tubes!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
40 seems way to high Slim. I'm assuming you liked the traction at 20 but not the flats. Personally I'd go 25 and see how it goes but you could also start at 30 and work your way down.

You should be able to tell if they are pinch flats (not enough pressure) if there are two snakebite looking holes or if you are just getting thorns.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I weigh 200 lbs with gear give or take a pound. My current favorite tire combo is WTB vigilante up front WTB wierwolf on the rear. 22 psi front and 25 psi rear. I ride mostly East coast technical XC. Haven't used a tube in years.

I just started running the WTBs I was just trying something new besides my Ikon ardent combo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ronnie, I weigh about the same but have not had the guts to go down that low. Do you find it beneficial over the 30lb range? I am running about 30.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@DMWmustang, If your running tubeless on tubeless ready tires and rims. you should be ok. You won't really have any burp issues above 20 psi with that set up. As for banging the rim its all about being light on the bike. Unweighting front and rear according to what you're riding over. It also depends on the tire brand and model but still I haven't been near 30 psi since I kicked the tubes.

edit*
I just noticed I didn't even answer your question. Yes I find the lower pressure to really soak up the small stuff on the trail. It really lets the tires bite when cornering. I keeps the rear tire from breaking free on climbs. You will bounce less off obstacles. Just experiment with it and see what your comfortable at.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
It's ba-ack. But this is a good thread for folks to see, I think.

I'm at about 145 lb.
29x2.25" tires on the 'A' bike, tubed
20 psi front
22.5 psi rear (not that I'm so precise - my pump is in ~2.5 psi increments)

·
The joy of ski is Yours
1,367 Posts
37.5 psi R 35 psi F.

DH tire rear, thicker folding bead front.

·
EMBA Member
536 Posts
40 seems way to high Slim. I'm assuming you liked the traction at 20 but not the flats. Personally I'd go 25 and see how it goes but you could also start at 30 and work your way down.

You should be able to tell if they are pinch flats (not enough pressure) if there are two snakebite looking holes or if you are just getting thorns.
It does seem a little high and they felt rock hard the first time that I rode them. After my third ride today I am getting used to the feel but I don't like the way they want to slide out from under me. But this is an experiment that I wanted to try so after a few more rides I probably will lower them down to 35/36. They sure do roll nice though. Pretty easy to climb with.

I really don't think they were pinch flats if I am looking for a snake bite. Sometimes I can find the thorns, sometimes not.

On my first post I didn't mention that I am 6'3" and 230 lbs.
Slim

·
Registered
666 Posts
Kenda nerve gal
2.35 frt and rear
I weigh about 240
I run tubes at 60 psi

I rarely have more than two flats per season

1 - 20 of 32 Posts