Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What tire pressure are folks using on their Missions

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DavidNeiles 
#1 ·
I was wondering what pressures some of you guys are running on your missions.

I have mine currently at 45psi and that seems to keep me away from having the tires behave "balloon-like" so they are cushioning the impacts rather than rebounding/ricocheting, but I'm darned if I'm not working like a dawg just getting up to speed and maintaining momentum. The roll resistance is making me pay a price on energy expenditure that is limiting how long I'm able to stay out there, I'm def getting wore out too soon.

What pressures are you finding success with.. I'm going to pump her up to 50psi on my next ride and see how she behaves.

#3 ·
Tire pressure has nothing to do with the frame/mfg of your bike.

Tire pressure has everything to do with:
-Weight
-Riding style
-Terrain
-Rim selection (width)
-Tire selection (size)
-Tire selection (casing)
-Tire selection (durometer)
-Tube selection
-Trail conditions
-Accuracy of your gauge

I'd suggest checking your gauge and running lower pressures...if you pinch flat, up the pressure.

#4 ·
Low low low!

I run sub-30 front and rear in the 2.3"+ tires. Tubeless.

Excellent traction and control. The only reason to run really high pressures (i.e. 45+ psi) is to avoid pinch flats on rocky trail.

With properly set up rim (i.e. rim strips, tube choice, etc) you should be able to run lower pressures than you are and gain the benefits with out any issues.

#5 ·
whoa...sub-30 eh 'yogidave'? I think I'd make it 100 yards before my heart gave out if I went that low. Are you trail riding and hill climbing at that psi or are you a downhill kinda guy?

At my current 45psi I don't have any fears of pinch flats and the terrain on my trail somewhat covers the gamut of main gravel path with minor more technical offshoots (where the real fun is) that are root, dirt, rock and boulder strewn with steep ups and downs and those are navigated nicely and behave predictably at the current pressure it's just that I'm pedaling my guts out (except when going down of course) and it feels like a slog thru molasses when I'm on softer ground. I'm def over working the ol' engine.

I'm about 250lbs so not a light fella. I'll obviously play about with going up in pressure towards where 'Rehuel' is and see how it goes.

#6 ·
My standard setup is 30psi rear, 25 front on tubeless Specialized Chunder and Clutch 2.3" tires. That gives me the best combination of low rolling resistance, good bump absorption, and stable cornering. Occasionally, I'll end up riding them as low as 15-20psi if I forget to check pressure for a few weeks. That's when I start to get sidewall flex in hard turns and run the risk of burping air. The most I ever run is 40psi front and rear if I plan to ride fast on rocky terrain. That's to protect my rims.

I mostly ride XC trails with several man made freeride obstacles thrown in. But I only weigh 180lb max with full hydration pack and armor. It makes sense that you'd need a higher tire pressure than I do just like you'd need more air or stiffer coils in the suspension.

Also keep in mind that tread pattern and tire volume have a lot to do with this issue. Fatter tires need less air and some treads suck for pedalling regardless of air pressure.

#7 ·
I'm running about 40 psi up front and back with the stock tires still. WTB Prowler and MX with the wire beads. Yes, it's heavy but I have not gotten a flat in a long time and mostly ride techie, rock with some single track. Looking forward to buying new tread but WTB has been good to me so far

#8 ·
LOTS of tech uphill here in Colorado

Moozh said:
whoa...sub-30 eh 'yogidave'? I think I'd make it 100 yards before my heart gave out if I went that low. Are you trail riding and hill climbing at that psi or are you a downhill kinda guy?

At my current 45psi I don't have any fears of pinch flats and the terrain on my trail somewhat covers the gamut of main gravel path with minor more technical offshoots (where the real fun is) that are root, dirt, rock and boulder strewn with steep ups and downs and those are navigated nicely and behave predictably at the current pressure it's just that I'm pedaling my guts out (except when going down of course) and it feels like a slog thru molasses when I'm on softer ground. I'm def over working the ol' engine.

I'm about 250lbs so not a light fella. I'll obviously play about with going up in pressure towards where 'Rehuel' is and see how it goes.
Most rides I do have at least 1500 vertical (UP) right from the trail head. I find the 30-ish +/- psi is a good balance for big 2.3+ tires given the rocky, technical stuff. Even on smooth-ish and/or rolling single track, the low pressure lets me rail corners.

Geared up with full hydration pack, I guess I'm 185-ish.

My Tires- Rear Maxxis Ignitor UST 2.35" - Front Kenda Blue Groove DTC 2.35 (folding kevlar bead w/ tube + slime). No idea if these are fast or slow rolling....

#9 ·
Lighter tires are better!

One more thing.........

Also, depending on what tires you have, you could be lugging around a lot of extra rotating weight.

Light wheels are also a great investment.

The trick fo rme is to find a huge volume 2.3-ish UST tire that weighs 700gr.. That ISN'T $75.

To date, the BEST (bar none) front tire I have run is a 2.3 Hutchinson Barracuda Enduro UST -- BUT it weighs damn near 1300 gr.. phenomenal performing tire (fast rolling, excellent grip) with indestructible side walls. A true man's tire. Alas.. it's a chore to push that thing uphill...

I have to get a life and stop dispensing long winded advice on the minutia of MTBs

#10 ·
I love the WTB 2.3 Prowler mx kevlar bead on the front at 35~lbs, and 2.24 kevlar WTB Motoraptor rear at 40ish psi. Love the combo, fast and really good bite in turns and the rear motoraptor hooks up well in loose tech stuff like climbing.

#12 ·
Well I'm still running the stock tires, I tried them at 55psi today, def too much bounce and not the best control and confidence in the loose stuff and fast descents so it's def gotta go lower so I'll try 50 next ride. The pedaling ease was there but I wouldnt say it was easier by large margins but I did notice that it was a bit easier, alas that psi is just too high.

It's still early days and I'm sure I'll find a happy medium soon enough but I suspect to get that I'll have to try different tires.

Darn it the control and feel seems great at 45psi, but it's just so much darn work to pedal.

It seems as if the stock rubber was carefully thought out and spec'd for this bike so its probably me. I am not so versed in comparing different tires out there I am only familiar with the few I've tried and that honestly is not so much.

#14 ·
Holy crap! Are you guys 13-yr old vegetarians? You all dont weigh anything!!! 60kg =132lbs or so right..man.. Sry..just venting.

I see some of you mention the tires and pressures you use and I'm curious about trying one of the suggestions but just have to figure out which.

In contrast I thought I'd compare with my xc race bike today and that was a phenominal ride that gave me my confidence back, It somewhat reassured me that I wasnt totally a gumby. I feel like I kicked the trails a$$, it didnt feel like everyone was passing me which is what seemed to be happening with me gasping away on the mission. All the same the Mission rules in the technical and downhill areas, both bikes tho climb really great, now I need to find a way to make the mission allow me to do a few epic rides, so far 2-hrs of hard cranking hauling my big self along and I'm toast.

A question for you 'DavidNeiles' as you seem to be the resident guru on all things DiamondBack. I see that you race a sortie, I've never ridden one so I wonder if you might have a description of the tangible/dynamic difference you know of and feel between the two bikes (sortie and mission). Having not had experience to speak of regarding FS AM type bikes and few opportunties to test ride anything I havent bought and paid for I wonder if I can trouble you to describe it as best you can for me. What kind of riding on what kind of trail/track/terrain does one do with one bike and the other?

#15 ·
Moozh said:
Holy crap! Are you guys 13-yr old vegetarians? You all dont weigh anything!!! 60kg =132lbs or so right..man.. Sry..just venting.

I see some of you mention the tires and pressures you use and I'm curious about trying one of the suggestions but just have to figure out which.

In contrast I thought I'd compare with my xc race bike today and that was a phenominal ride that gave me my confidence back, It somewhat reassured me that I wasnt totally a gumby. I feel like I kicked the trails a$$, it didnt feel like everyone was passing me which is what seemed to be happening with me gasping away on the mission. All the same the Mission rules in the technical and downhill areas, both bikes tho climb really great, now I need to find a way to make the mission allow me to do a few epic rides, so far 2-hrs of hard cranking hauling my big self along and I'm toast.

A question for you 'DavidNeiles' as you seem to be the resident guru on all things DiamondBack. I see that you race a sortie, I've never ridden one so I wonder if you might have a description of the tangible/dynamic difference you know of and feel between the two bikes (sortie and mission). Having not had experience to speak of regarding FS AM type bikes and few opportunties to test ride anything I havent bought and paid for I wonder if I can trouble you to describe it as best you can for me. What kind of riding on what kind of trail/track/terrain does one do with one bike and the other?
Well you can search on here for my Sortie review of the 2010, some insight there...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=613366&highlight=2010+Sortie+Black Check out the 09 Sortie Black review as well. I first started out on a 08 Mission 2 because at the time I was riding aggresive as always but wanted a long travel bike to do it all. Didn't want a 4 inch sortie(08)as I have had many 4inch travel bike in the past and just wanted a lot of travel! Many brands to choose from and DB had the best bike for the money and I wanted Fox suspension, and I love 4bar linkages, not a fan of crazy designs with little tiny hardware and crap.
Basically I like the Sortie for the lighter feel, but still aggressive feel and capabilities, and just built a bit more for xc speed. steeper head angle but the bike feel like a mission to me minus 20mm less travel in rear. I like to run my Fox Floats at 140mm which gives me a slacker head angle and I like the feel personally. I can race this beauty or put a bash gaurd on and go tear up some fun aggresive lines and hit drops all day long!:) I am only 160lbs geared up, so I am kind of a light guy, but my Sories can take some big drops with ease.

I love the 09 frame a lot, It is now my first really fun FS SS bike and just kicks ass:D .

If you hit big drops, like to go fast, some DH/FR but still climb up or ride "long travel" xc go for the Mission. Or whatever! I ride with a friend that races his Mission in a lot of races with me and he kicks peoples asses! The Sortie is my choice for most riding, but really want to get on a GOAT to race some DH and kick some tail on it! There is no need for a huge DH bike for me personally or for around SE personally, some would disagree. The Goat would tear it up and I can pedal up instead of shuttles! We do have DH runs here:D

I hope if I continue to be on the HDXC team I can ride a Goat, DB what up!!!;) ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.