Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Slow Goat....
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute 11miles round trip on my mtb bike. I also want to ride trails too. What tires have these dual purpose? I would commute with my road bike, but there is too much uneven pavement and occasional dirt paths to ride through. Plus my mtb bike is just too comfortable. Right now I have Nevegal 2.1 on front and Karma 2.0 in rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a pair of Specialized Borough XC Sports. I like these tires because they are a little thicker than what I was using before. I went from 700cX 38, to 700X45. Overall the tire is pretty good. They have tread on the outside portion of the tire, but the very center is slick. My commute is 6 miles each way, on paved, unpaved road, and a lot of potholes, but about half of the way is on dirt,slight gravel. There are a lot of choices out there, depending on what you are looking for.

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
I would look at the Specialized Crossroads. For a little more knob but low rolling resistance check out the Fastrack and the Resolution also by Specialized.

·
Registered
350 Posts
ive recently equipped a cst copperhead 2.0 rear. it rolls fast, and performs well on trails. i think i have it on backwards, but it doesnt have a direction guide. this with a irc mythos xc front 2.1. i like this combo, though it does have limits offroad. the side lugs arent big on the mythos which can allow the front to slide out on fast and loose turns. and the cst doesnt get much grip on dust/dry hardpack cilmbs. but hey, the combo cost me $25 and saves my knobbies for where they should be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im a big fan of my Kenda Kwests. They are definitely a more street oriented tire, but i still ride 8 of my 45 miles on a limestone horse path and they hold their own. They surprised me with how well they worked in the rain yesterday as well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
FireBallKY said:
I would look at the Specialized Crossroads. For a little more knob but low rolling resistance check out the Fastrack and the Resolution also by Specialized.
I have these on my SS MTB, and they are freakin' great commuter tires. But offroad, they can be really sketchy in loose stuff. I still haven't found a tire that does equally well for both conditions, since they're so contradictory.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am using Continental Traffics on my mtn bike for commuting to work right now. They have been a great choice for a street tire, that can also do some light trail.

Air them up to 65psi and they roll almost silent!

·
2,548 Posts
I just run dedicated slicks (Ritchey Tom Slicks 1.4"s) when I commute and swap 'em out to my knobbies when I want to mtb ..... of course, I'm still runnin' old school tires with tubes ;) .... swapping them only takes a few minutes, really.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just put some Kenda K-Rads 26x1.95 on my MTB/ commuter and they have held up very well. They allow more speed and roll great on pavement.The tires also have a checkered pattern that hold well on dirt. I have yet to take it out on a trail but I think they will be ok but not the best. The tires are also not that expensive.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think you will have a hard time finding one tire that does both jobs well so would recomend picking up an inexpensive wheel set and have them set up so all you need to do is swap wheels when you want to ride something different.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had Maxxi Wormdrive Kevlars on for a couple weeks. Roll great on pavement, corner well, although they do slide around in loose dirt and sand. Haven't used them in wet conditions yet but I've been out on the local trails pretty extensively, as well as my daily commute (around 20 miles each way) and I'm happy with them.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
Intense has the new Micro Knobby in 26x 2.25, lighter than a lot of 1.95 knobbies, and GRIP? R U F'N KIDDN ME? Like riding on rails!!! Now, because of the air pressure I run (60/60, I'm a clyde), they do tend to pinball in gravel/loose...

So far, I'm in LOVE!

·
312 Posts
x3 for the k-rads. I commute and do trails/dj with these. They can make landings a little sketchy though. It's the best/cheapest compromise tire I can find though.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.