Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Broken
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got there finally for the first time back in July. Everything was normal, did notice though that there was a dug up spot, thought they just had to fix something there or something. In between that time and now alot has happened to it. I didn't like what I seen there. What was seen was alot of bulldozed areas with gravel laid over, land where this is was where there was a really significant part of the singletrack. What the heck? Alot of the people I talked to who knew RV liked it for the singletrack. What the heck?

·
thats my red stapler
408 Posts
Rip said:
Got there finally for the first time back in July. Everything was normal, did notice though that there was a dug up spot, thought they just had to fix something there or something. In between that time and now alot has happened to it. I didn't like what I seen there. What was seen was alot of bulldozed areas with gravel laid over, land where this is was where there was a really significant part of the singletrack. What the heck? Alot of the people I talked to who knew RV liked it for the singletrack. What the heck?
yup was there on thursday hadnt been there in about two months and there is tons of widened trails and LOVELY gravel dont quite know what they are thinking. i hope they cut some new trails around the gravel though

·
Broken
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update. Was talking with the ranger, the worst possible scenario has happened, the trails in Round Valley have been closed to bikes, but yet remain open to hikers and other users including equestrians. If you're planning on riding at Round Valley, look else where. Unless we raise a ruckus about this, it is entirely possible that we are going to start to see more trails meet the same demise as Round Valley did.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Why?

Rip said:
An update. Was talking with the ranger, the worst possible scenario has happened, the trails in Round Valley have been closed to bikes, but yet remain open to hikers and other users including equestrians. If you're planning on riding at Round Valley, look else where. Unless we raise a ruckus about this, it is entirely possible that we are going to start to see more trails meet the same demise as Round Valley did.
Why did they do that?
Ping

·
thats my red stapler
408 Posts
Rip said:
WHAT!!!!!! when did this happen?? how??? and Why????? I was just here a week ago, literally last monday. no one said anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think that I ever saw even one equistrian there. And only a few (very few) hikers ever make it pass the first hill after the campground entrance. So who was complaining ??

Seems surprising that a State Park (as opposed to county parks etc) could just shot down a whole group of users w/o some kind of hearing. Or maybe there was a notice but it was posted in the basement of some building in Trenton behind locked doors ?

Maybe ex-governor Whitman can help. Heard she used to ride there pretty often..

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
i've never ridden there. but trail closures make me nuts, so I just called and spoke to a ranger. (forgot his name).

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/round.html
(908) 236-6355

here's what he told me:

the cushtunk trail has always closed to bikes, just not enforced until now. reason is that someone just got hurt. now they're crackin down. :(

preferred entrance to biking legal trails is from the south lot only. this gives you access to "small trail on left" and "big one, that goes to the campground, on right" I don't know these trails, I am just quioting the ranger here. I hope I'm being accurate.

they are cracking down on parking at the county entrance... then riding in state land, this no longer allowed, only parking at the state land is allowed. (is this what he means by the "south lot"?) apparently they have a problem with people biking from county to state land and back, and it purely for safety reasons. such that if you park in one of the lots, and you don't make it back to your car, they don't know whether to look for you on state land or the county land that apparently is adjacent to the state land.

funny, he said it was ok to bike on state land, or county land, just don't cross between the two. i think its kind of silly actually, but i felt it was not worth arguing with a ranger on the phone about this, and being a biker a-hole on the phone.

if i were a rv rider, i think i'd get on the phone and start politely talking to the rangers and see what's what. then i'd start calling JORBA and IMBA to see if there is anything that can be done.

one word of advice... be polite. yelling at a ranger will only complicate matters. good luck.

mergs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rip said:
... the trails in Round Valley have been closed to bikes, ...
When did/does this policy take effect? I was just there on my mountain bike this past Friday afternoon (3 days ago) and no one said anything to me.

I wasn't too concerned about the gravel sections since they were only up until you get to the pavillion, it was spread out primarily over the areas that suffer the greatest erosion &/or spring-thaw mud, and, except for the switchback section, there's no singletrack between the south lot and the pavillion anyway.

The 2 small trails to the left of the lot are mostly used for hikers/dog walkers. I think one of the two (maybe) allows bikers, but I've never seen one on either of these small loops whenever I've taken my dog for a walk.

What would concern me the most is the closing of the lot on county property (Cushetunk Mountain Nature Preserve). That's the small gravel lot "behind" Round Valley at the bottom of Old Mountain Rd. near the train tracks. It provided free access to RV during the summer months, some nice singletrack with a few fun rock gardens, and a killer climb to get to the main trail with a nice descent after you crest the hill (and better still, a really sweet descent coming back to the small lot in the other direction!). I hated the fireroads from the south lot to the pavillion anyway (gravel or not), and this back lot was a good way to bypass that nuisance and still access most of Round Valley's singletrack. But if county property is now off-limits, I guess that's the end of that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just talked to the Ranger (very nice BTW), and he said MTB'ing was still very much allowed on the usual trails. He did say that we should enter by the main gate when using the trails in the park, but as mentioned before it's for security reasons in case you need to be rescued.

Me and my wife use that entrance and pay the fee because we think it's a way to support the parks in the State. The park is acually free from 5PM to close, and next week starts the free season. I happen to like the first portion, and I have to say that the bulldozer work doesn't look as bad now as it did when they were undertaking it. Plants have started to grow back and it's smoothing out. I always start at the parking lot, then up between the pine trees, then back down on the fire road etc. Now that section is now trashed and gravelled over, but the rest turns out to be quite nice, they left the switchbacks that run along the stairs, and going up some singletrack still runs along a newly dozed area, so it's not that bad. And I find myself picking the old line at the split where they cut through the trees to avoid the roots ;) just for kicks.

I feel much relieved after having talked to the Ranger.

Dogbert, we should hook up soon it sounds like we're neighbors. I will not make you ride the fireroads if you don't want to ;)

Cheers,

Maurice

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maurice said:
Dogbert, we should hook up soon it sounds like we're neighbors.
Sounds good to me. I may head there this afternoon - after 5 pm, of course! :D - to get in about a 1½-2 hour ride. If I go, it'll be the last time I'm on a mountain bike for 2 weeks since I leave for vacation this Sunday for 8 days. I'll probably squeeze in a road ride on Wednesday and then rest my legs for a crit on Saturday before I leave. If not today, we'll definitely hook up when I get back.

I live in Lebanon Borough, ~ 2 miles from the entrance to RV. I used to buy a season pass when I did 80% of my mountain biking at RV, but in the last few years my first choice is now usually Chimney Rock.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Can't make it this afternoon, I'm already commuting on the bike and not sure I'll get back home soon enough, but I ride all year long so no problem.

We really are neighbors, I live on Brunswick Ave. in the new house next to the florist !

Maurice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Round Valley * IS * Open to MTB

Hey,

The trail is definitely open.

I talked to the head superintendent, Andrew, a couple time over the last few days. He had heard about the reports here on MTBR and wanted to make sure people knew. He wants mountain bikers in his park.

I think things got a little confused. The trail crossing over to the Cushetunk County Park is not supposed to be ridden. The confusion is, the name of the main trial inside Round Valley, around the rim of the lake, is called the Cushetunk Trail. That is open.

The reason for not crossing to the county park is security and safety. He wants to know where people are, because if they get injured, he wants to find them.

Of course, part of the reason bikers are worried is the crushed stone they put down near the parking lot and after the south dam. He only did that because the wants to encourage some equestrians to use his park. He assured me that he was not going to pave the biking trail that climbs along the rim. That will stay the way it is.

Allen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts