Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be racing in XC races, and Ive never done one before. What kind of terrain are XC trails like? What the heck do I wear? Do i need clip pedals? Im sure someone can answer thise for me, and a detailed answer would be apreciated. ( Such as what the start is like, if everyone there is good, what should i wear?
And if it helps im 18.

·
And if not, why not?
1,065 Posts
Don't panic!

First of all, you should be able to get a good idea about the course terrain from the races web site, and often you can ride in the area ahead of time. You may not know the exact course, but you'll get an idea about the terrain. Clipless pedals are a really good idea, not just for the race, but in general. Make sure you have some time to really get used to them before you race with them. I did my first race in toe clips (1995?), and it was the first time I wished I had clipless. jerseys and riding shorts are a good idea but in the end no lack of fancy gear should keep you from having a great first race. just enter the first timers cat. if there is one, and enjoy yourself and learn what you can. Racing is like going for a ride and playing a video game at the same time. Try it and you'll see what I mean. It WILL make you a better rider! Make sure you have water or gator aid or whatever works for you.

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
One of the best ways to find out general descriptions of...

trek fuel80 said:
Im going to be racing in XC races, and Ive never done one before. What kind of terrain are XC trails like? What the heck do I wear? Do i need clip pedals? Im sure someone can answer thise for me, and a detailed answer would be apreciated. ( Such as what the start is like, if everyone there is good, what should i wear?
And if it helps im 18.
...the terrain for races in your area, is to talk to some LBS (local bike shop) employees that frequent them. You may even want to join a LBS team, which has many advantages, including group training rides, possible sponsorship or discounts on purchases, carpooling to races, etc. Perhaps the biggest advantage of being part of a team, is being able to judge your progress better by having competitors to train with, it also can keep you from feeling like it's you against everybody, esp when you're new at it. Good luck!:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts