Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I think there are only 2 options:

Maverick SC32

Maverick DUC32

Some other DH type forks might work, but they will add an extra 5 pounds to your bike.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
the reviews are all BS for the most part except if you get a leaker. running a giant 3.7 tire negates any deflection you will feel. when you run a skinny tire at 40 psi you will feel a lot more negatives of the fork. i have a 29er wheel and a 3.7 wheel for my SC23 and have been on it for 3+ years now. it's a different fork with the 29er tire at 30-40 psi than with the endo at 8psi.

would i get another for my fatback yes. but on the other hand i would also upgrade to the Duc32. at the time i bought the SC23 i didnt know the Duc would fit the 3.7. i feel that a SC32 is perfect for a pug because it transformed mine and many others. I am not sure the Duc is the perfect fork for the pug though. it may be better on a fatback because it is a more aggressive bike. just my .02 having had both bikes and hopefully both forks soon.

one more thing about my fatback. currently i am writing checks up front that my rear end can barely cash. i think it's time for a soft tail to match the extra inch that the Duc is offering. Can onyone help me out:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Did Maverick change the DUC? I thought it wouldn't fit our tires 'cause of the tapered fork tubes... Haven't tried it myself but someone posted to that effect on a similar thread a while back. I have a friend that rides a DUC (26er set-up) , next time I see him I'll see if he'll let me mount my wheel up & find out for sure. Seems like I saw a pic of one mounted up... maybe the tire was on a 50mm rim?

·
How much does it weigh?
1,169 Posts
How about a heavy but reliable Marzocchi Shiver.

You could just slide the lower crown up a little bit to clear the tire at full compression.

Probably want to lower it though... 190mm travel is a bit much.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ward: For the DUC32 you need a 50mm max with rim for a Larry/Endo to fit. I used a 46mm Echo trials rim all last winter with no problems. I actually use this fat front setup with the 29er rear in the summer during wet weather, just added confidence and traction.

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
bighit said:
currently i am writing checks up front that my rear end can barely cash. i think it's time for a soft tail to match the extra inch that the Duc is offering. Can onyone help me out:confused:
I bet Brendan over at Siren woud be a good first stop on the fat soft tail idea. Otherwise, you could wait for Mikesee to sell his off at some point down the road.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
scottybinwv said:
I think it says on the Surly site the pugs is compensated for 100mm of travel.
must have tweaked the frame.

Drfeelygood had a Duc32 on his pug with a 50 i think. if i remember correctly he cautioned no more than 50mm. which is ok in my book because thats all i need. any more and the rim is going to get dinged up in the rock gardens.

·
How much does it weigh?
1,169 Posts
loOse1 said:
Anyone know any more about the MARZOCCHI SHIVER SC? will it work on a Pugs?
I doubt it would fit unless you limited the travel a good amount, I'm not sure how you would limit the travel...

With a 2.6" Gazzaloddi, and ETA engaged.. and last 20mm of travel to go... the fork is wonderful though for it's time and "only" 5-1/4 lbs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I sure wish there was an option that doesn't involve a new hub. $100 for a hub, $100 to have it built onto the wheel, assuming I stick with the Large Marge, which I probably won't so add another $100, and a $400-$500 fork costs $800!

·
How much does it weigh?
1,169 Posts
I don't see why a Lefty wouldn't work.

You could turn the crowns a bit to reduce the fork offset... letting you have your wheel centered on the bike, and not dished off to the right side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts