Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
EDR
10,599 Posts
I say buy a 5 degree stem that you like then sell the Thomson. You'll have the stem you are comfortable with and probably 50 bucks in your pocket :)

FWIW I use the 10 degree x4. I can't imagine liking a zero degree stem, I like to have the bars level or a bit higher than my seat.

·
Registered
288 Posts
First, find seat height...

Like EDR said, most like their bars level or a little above level. I have the top of my grips about an inch higher than my seat. But, thanks to my short-ass legs, I have to use a 0 degree stem, low rise bar, and one thin (1/8 ") spacer under my stem in order to make this work.

Your saddle height and it's fore/aft position is the 'constant' to the equation. My saddle is always at the exact same spot, so after that it's just a matter of fine tuning the stem height and length to get your bars where you want them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
provided you have enought steer tube to work with, spacer stack height and handlebar rise give you enough adjustment that you can use either the 10 or 0 and get your hands where you want them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yeah i've got plenty steer tube to work with - had it cut long for this reason.
I've ordered the 10 - if I don't like it the place i'm buying from said I can change it for a 0
or a different make altogether.

Cheers

·
Surf 'n' Trail Rat
87 Posts
My own personal preference is for more of an XC positioning (even tho I ride 'all-mountain').
I use a Thomson 0 degree 100mm with low rise Easton EA 70 handlebar, and i'm using one 3/8" spacer between the HS and stem.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Whatever gets your hands where you want them...

I just installed a 10deg Thomson 4x 90mm on my new non-Yeti HT, inverted, to get my bar where I want it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.