Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so in april I will be purchasing my first (non crappy Walmart or Canadian Tire) mountain bike. My budget is 700 MAX, I'm located in toronto Canada take that into account, i wont be able to get foreign bikes easily, im 16, 6' 1" and 205 lbs. just incase weight or strenght are into consideration for weight of the bike or gears or something, im chubby, but extremely strong, like 290 on barbell squats. Im going to be doing street biking throughout the year, however, when im camping for afew months i will be doing both basic trail biking and harder biking on the canadian shield. Id rather avoid getting a used bike, id like my first real bike to be new, lower quality or not. Ive been considering these bikes giant revel 0, the trek 4500 disc, or the specialized hardrock sport disc 29 inch, cannondale f7 disc, Scott scale 70, gt avalanche disc, i havent really looked thoroughly at their prices though, and am far from being set on those, any good bikes for that price range and recommendations. Im also wondering if doing a custom makes sense, or if it will not be worth the extra cost, if i am not getting savings by doing so. Also if anyone knows good bike shops in toronto that would be helpful, along with websites that sell/ship bikes and bike parts in canada, or to canada for free or a cheap price. Thanks

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Best bet is to test ride the offerings from the big companies that you've listed and get the one which is most comfortable. The only other reason to go with one over another would probably be brakes or fork. If you post links to the few you are looking at I, and others, would be more willing to review the parts and tell you if any stand out. Otherwise, I have to dig thru 6 different websites to look over those models... it is a Sat night, just put the kids to bed and I'm gonna crack a beer. Do my homework for me and I'll have a look.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
If you want 26 and can swing the price, the Rockhopper is a really nice bike. If you need to go 29 inch, the Hardrock would be good. A used rockhopper 29 would be good too. Try finding someone who spent a lot of money but never ride their bike. These deals are more common than you think.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Ride em all and figure out which one you like/fits. Then save your money for another 3 months and get the next level up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You need to test ride to determine if you prefer 26 or 29 inch wheels. If you can't do that maybe go 29er since they seem to be taking over the xc and hardtail market.

Comparing the specialized 29er and giant revel 29 I'd go with the giant. I like that it's 9 speed (spec isn't) and comes with avid bb5s mechanical disc brakes. Hydraulic brakes are nice and are not as hard to work on as many people think, but mechanicals are still easier to maintain and cheaper to have a shop work on. Both come with suntour forks that I don't know much about.

If you are going to buy new then research that shop you are buying from. One of the perks of buying new should be the support you get from the shop and the warranty from the bike maker.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whats the big deal with 9 speed vs 7 or 8 speed? i know you have more options but does it make that big a difference?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
More gears

No go ride the bikes in your price range and see which one you like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the closest bike shop, it had a small selection of bikes, of the ones i tested, all in my price range, when i test rode them they all had brakes that kind of slid, they didnt fully stop when i slammed on the brakes, it was more it slowed down for afew feet then stopped, is this regular for bran new brakes, or is it the quality, or is it the fact that they were all mechanical disk brakes rather than hydraulic. If its the mechanical, than what good bikes in my price range have hydraulic?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
My Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er has mechanical brakes and it stops just as fine as my GT Sensor with Hydros.

Possible they were not adjusted properly.

At $700 I think the Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er is a great bike.
I have the 2012 which has mechanical disks and a Suntour XCR.
The 2013 comes with a little bit better hydraulic brakes but a cheaper fork (suntour xcm)

The bad news is you will most likely want to upgrade the fork.
However, you will probably find that to be true with most bikes in that price range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive been looking into it, the bike i road was the trek marlin, and ive been hearing the brakes are bad on it. If so, whats the bad part of the brake, cause i found one for 150 bucks off, so if the problem is just the brake pads or something, i cant deal with the cost of replacing.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
They should be able to be adjusted adequately where they will work fine.
Eventually you will probably want to upgrade them along with that Suntour XCM.
The saddle and pedals you may or may not want to upgrade but this pretty much goes for almost every bike sold.

All the other components you can upgrade as they break.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I don't think they are that bad (not that they are great).
If they were slipping like you said, I would venture that they need adjusting.

Also remember, the rear brake is for slowing, and the front is for stopping.
(A bit over simplified but most your stopping power is upfront)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts