Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new set of hubs to replace the Bontrager wheels that came stock in my GF Rig.
On both my other bikes I use Chris King hubs, and for some time I was certain to use King SS on my SS-er to.
But since the King's are kind of $$$ I'm now looking for other options.
Don't start about Industry 9's because they are hard to get in The Netherlands so they won't be it for me.
I'm looking for some other options and like to know what's better freewheel cogs or Shimano style cogs like Boone and On One.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
cubeman said:
I'm looking for a new set of hubs to replace the Bontrager wheels that came stock in my GF Rig.
On both my other bikes I use Chris King hubs, and for some time I was certain to use King SS on my SS-er to.
But since the King's are kind of $$$ I'm now looking for other options.
Don't start about Industry 9's because they are hard to get in The Netherlands so they won't be it for me.
I'm looking for some other options and like to know what's better freewheel cogs or Shimano style cogs like Boone and On One.
I love my Hope Pro II hubs. Get the SS/Trials version, not the geared version.

Freehub vs. Freewheel is really a matter of opinion. One is not better than the other. I have used both with my single speeds. The Hopes are freehub. I like freehubs because I can use a Boone cog. Also, changing cogs is easier than changing freewheels because those damn things like to stay on. Finally, overall, having several quality cogs costs less than having several quality freewheels. I only used the WI freewheels and those things are expensive.

Attachments

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Hi!

I got a fisher rig to... but built from the frame... I would love to get the Bontrager SS hub... it will be my next upgrade for a cheap and durable replacement of my regular Bontrager gear hub that was converted to SS with spacer kit.

Check out the Niner Cogalicious cog... Sweet upgrade! I love it... It's so darn sexy! All machined from aluminum... I had the choice between Surly, Chris King and Niner. George from Bike29.com had a Niner in stock and i couldn't resist!

I love my rig... Had an X-Caliber before with tensionner and got my Rig in October... I've installed a Surly Karate Monkey fork on it and been riding the bike since... Love the feel of a rigid singlespeed... Good workout for winter riding!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm riding a set of Chris King Hubs. The King single speed rear hub is a bit noisy when coasting, but that just makes me pedal all the time. Please King's come in some cool colors!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just to confuse you a little more .. I ride White Industries ENO and Freewheel ... same hubs on all my bikes!

Have heard nothing but great things about Phil Wood hubs ... expensive, but super nice ....

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Have run Kings and Philwood hubs and darn near everything in between. For some Odd reason if I'm building up a SS for some odd reason they all tend to run Phils on the past several builds. Have a set that I've put thru a few bikes and you would not be able to guess there age in terms of performance. If you want a set of hubs that will out last you then chances are Phils are for you.

Now back to our regular broadcasting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the usefull replys a got so far!

Till now I've been looking at White Industries ENO and Phill Wood hubs.
Both brands make nice products and both are to be found on my bike in crankset and BB.
Only "problem" is that they both use freewheel cogs.
This might not be that bad, but since I allready use Boone cogs right now I would prefer to keep using the freehub type of hub, so the Hope hubs might be an option to look at.

Keep other options comming please :thumbsup:

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
Go DT and don't look back. Search around MTBR, they're about the only product I've never read anything negative about. Excellent bearings and freewheel. You really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hope Pro II SS version! They are a tad lighter than Kings and also come in different colors...You will be able to use any cog you want and they are loud like the Kings if that is your thing....

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Hadley,.,,

I got a sweet set of Hadley hubs from Mtn. High. Love em. They are a little noisy, but they sound soo sweet. not buzzy like a king, its more like a growl, or a purrrrrrrrr

They now make Ti bolt on kits for front and rear which both use a 6mm allen so no more extra tools. If you switch to a TA or want a QR in back or whatever,you can easily swap the ends and use it on what ever bike you have at the time...

Enjoy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that's also a thing to look at, the axle!
I would like to be able to use QR because the BOB Yak trailer I uses has a special QR.
It can use special nuts but only for a 9mm threaded axle.
So QR is something a realy want:)

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
BOB Nuts

You can use BOB Nuts in place of the Ti bolts on a Hadley, or you can get the parts for the Quick release and just use the BOB Skewer. Just about any standard configuration is possible. Call Hadley racing. They don't really have a web site, but the customer service by phone is great. If they can't answer the question, they figure it out and actually call you back.

(Chris King, on the other hand, does not accept calls from end users, They prefer to deal only with the shops and distributors. When I needed a small part from King - one my LBS said they couldn't get from King - they charged me full MSRP and something like 16 dollars to send a small envelope with about 5 grams of aluminum.)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a look at the Hadley and must admit that it looks nice!
Also has a good reputation I guess.
But come on please, 455gr for a rearhub!
Thats almost worse than a Phil Wood....:madman:
I wonder what makes the hub this heavy when I look at the material they use:confused:

Besides the huge weight, the price is almost on par with King so in that case I would still buy the King.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.