Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlotteville, VA.

I'm an SS newb. I'm going to be spending 5 weeks in C'ville, Va, and am planning on buying an MC Flight at a local shop while I'm there. I'm planning on immediately upgrading the crank to an RF evolve SS with a 34t ring. Is 34/20 to steep for the area? I know gearing is subjective, so for reference I find 32/20 too easy for most of the routes I use in Heidelberg germany.

Also, I can't remember, what's the relationship to a change in number of teeth on the chainring versus a change in the cog size?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I know in the VA forum you mentioned having a flight on the way. Is that your first 29er or did you run the 32/20 in germany on a 29er?

I find 32/20 to be great in the c'ville area, although I mostly ride in GWNF where the climbs put on much more of a hurting than say Walnut Creek. I know of some pretty damn strong riders running the same and a couple pushing 32/18. I've ridden with Nzumbi who post here as well on a decent 1,000ft sustained climb that he pushed 32/18 pretty strong on. I just think for longer rides around 20+ miles that stiff gearing will takes it's toll.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running 32/20 on a haro mary in Germany. Didn't quite mean to end up with 2 SS 29er's so soon, but I'll be pissed without a bike in C'ville, and even though there are other options for renting, transporting, etc, etc, even my wife finds it reasonable to buy a bike while I'm there. One of them will be getting a susser fork and gears at some point anyway..

Thanks for the tip. I'll leave it as it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.