Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering what springs can I put on an older Vanilla RC rear shock? We currently have a swinger spring (or a mantiou METAL shock spring) that we could try. Just wondering if a DHX coil/Romic Coil spring would fit onto a Vanilla RC shock.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Your RC will take just about any spring. Even though the Progressive springs (and maybe the Manitou?) have a tiny bit larger ID, they run fine on an RC...but not on a DHX...the DHX piggyback is larger and makes contact with larger ID springs. The DHX and RC use the same size Fox springs. I have/had all of these shocks except the Manitou coil, and the springs work fine on the RC. It won't matter if the Manitou spring is the same size as Fox springs or slightly larger ID like Progressive models...the RC can run them.

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
TNC said:
Your RC will take just about any spring. Even though the Progressive springs (and maybe the Manitou?) have a tiny bit larger ID, they run fine on an RC...but not on a DHX...the DHX piggyback is larger and makes contact with larger ID springs. The DHX and RC use the same size Fox springs. I have/had all of these shocks except the Manitou coil, and the springs work fine on the RC. It won't matter if the Manitou spring is the same size as Fox springs or slightly larger ID like Progressive models...the RC can run them.
I think your statement about Vanilla RC and DHX using the same spring is a bit broad. The RC can use a DHX spring, but not the other way around. Your photo of the RC appears to have a DHX spring. Take a look at my RC, the spring is clearly narrower. This might make it lighter.

Anyhow, I don't think this helps the original question, since you have pretty much answered it, but I just wanted to bring that up so we don't start any rumors. :D

_MK

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So if I got all this......you can use a DHX spring on a Vanilla shock BUT not a vanilla spring on a DHX correct?

So I'm looking for a spring for a DHX? Just making sure it sounds right :)

Also on a second note.....It's for my brother, but he has a 7.5x2.0 Vanilla RC. What size springs from fox can he use? Could I run a 2.35" spring from them OR is that more for the 2.5" stroke shocks? I know his current one is 2.23 I think.

Please let me know, thanks again guys!

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
spunger said:
So if I got all this......you can use a DHX spring on a Vanilla shock BUT not a vanilla spring on a DHX correct?

So I'm looking for a spring for a DHX? Just making sure it sounds right :)

Also on a second note.....It's for my brother, but he has a 7.5x2.0 Vanilla RC. What size springs from fox can he use? Could I run a 2.35" spring from them OR is that more for the 2.5" stroke shocks? I know his current one is 2.23 I think.

Please let me know, thanks again guys!
The confusion is my fault. Just listen to TNC's advice. You can run practically any spring on the Vanilla RC.

If you'll look at my photo, I'm running a 2.35 spring on a 2in stroke shock. The spring is a 500lb one, and if you'll go much heavier you may run into the spring being too long, but this would probably happen around 700lb mark. The general rule of thumb is that you want to run a spring with equal or greater stroke than the stroke of the shock. You don't want to go too much larger as the spring may become too long, so you probably wouldn't want to run a 2.5 stroke spring on a 2in stroke shock. 2.0 or 2.25 would be your safest bets.

_MK

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MK_ said:
The confusion is my fault. Just listen to TNC's advice. You can run practically any spring on the Vanilla RC.

If you'll look at my photo, I'm running a 2.35 spring on a 2in stroke shock. The spring is a 500lb one, and if you'll go much heavier you may run into the spring being too long, but this would probably happen around 700lb mark. The general rule of thumb is that you want to run a spring with equal or greater stroke than the stroke of the shock. You don't want to go too much larger as the spring may become too long, so you probably wouldn't want to run a 2.5 stroke spring on a 2in stroke shock. 2.0 or 2.25 would be your safest bets.

_MK
Ok gotcha, I only ask because locally we have someone selling a 650lbs spring for a Vanilla RC but it's a 2.35" , I know his current spring is a 2.29 I think. So I figured we'd maybe give it a shot for $5 that he's asking. I've been looking for a 650 or 700 but when this came up and locally of all things......it works out.

I'll get it and see.......if not I'm only out $5 I guess :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
12,060 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
The spring currently is stamped "fox 650# 2.35 and the required stroke is 2.25". I'm looking for something in the 250-300lb range and it appears on your website that they're all too short.

(Thanks for the response and being a niche resource)

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
The spring currently is stamped "fox 650# 2.35 and the required stroke is 2.25". I'm looking for something in the 250-300lb range and it appears on your website that they're all too short.

(Thanks for the response and being a niche resource)
Yeah that's a tough one. That stroke wasn't common back when shocks run spring diameters that small.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a 450 x 2.39 spring from my Vanilla RC i'd trade you for the 650 spring. It's the old 32mm ID.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.