Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
dt comps will yield a less flexy wheel when compared to the supercomps... al nipples are fine... just have someone who knows what they're doing build it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
I'd probably never use aluminum nips for FR/DH. only brass for me. a
nd I'd probably just go with DT competitions personally 14/15g...
well, yeah... +1

it all really depends on what end of the spectrum you are wanting to cater to. i always go with butted spokes on my wheel builds. the supercomps can handle what you give it, you just might not want to spend that extra money.

as for the nipples, well...are you jumping off cliffs? or are you leaning towards the XC side of things? are you concerned with with weight? how important is the RED color?

Al nipples are definitely more durable than they are sometimes given credit for.

hope that helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Coma13-- "just have someone who knows what they're doing build it."...... Thats the problem... most people don't know what their doing. Not that I do totally. But my bro had some custom wheels built up, Hadley on ArrowDHX, and they were all wrong. The "self-professed expert" hommie cut all the spokes too short.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
coma13 said:
dt comps will yield a less flexy wheel when compared to the supercomps... al nipples are fine... just have someone who knows what they're doing build it.
i don't think that is too much a concern. it's only the nipple end that is smaller. i don't think this will manifest hugely as a greater flex in your wheel.

the smaller diameter will allow for a slightly beefier Al nipple. technically...:D

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
For real FR'ing? No other choice but DT's Alpine III's. Forget the aluminum nips too. Brass is what you want.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats the deal with the Alpine III's? Anyone else agree? I guess I'll go with some black brass nips.

I think I'm going to have cynergy (local shop) build my wheels. They are new, but hired good staff it seems, they have a certified zocchi tech. Everything I've had them do has been a bit $, but they do a damn good job to ensure I come back. They built my homeboys front wheel and its very well put together.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Phi.Design said:
Naw, I was just asking about alpines. And it seemed everyone was routing for brass. And oh my god, I cannot stop eating chile spiced mango.
hahaaha:thumbsup:

seriously, you can't go wrong with standard DT butted spokes 2/1.8/2 and which ever nipple you desire

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
konut said:
alpine 3 and dt pro lock brass nipples,brass nipples also make a 30% stronger wheel
30 percent? i always thought it was 25. wow, the amount of knowledge flowing forth from these forums never ceases to amaze me! :thumbsup:

to OP, if you're going big you'd better opt for the 30 percent stronger build!!!

also, have you considered building your own wheel? if you can follow directions it is not that hard and very rewarding. you will learn a lot. there are plenty of sources for help

·
Pro Crastinator
12,019 Posts
for the last 6 years, i've used the revolution/red alloy nipple combo on my DJ bike with zero problems (and the same combo on my DH bike for the past 4 years). anybody who has seen or ridden my bikes will attest that they are easily some of the stiffest wheels around. i've been floating around the sub 200lbs mark that whole time as well. if i can pound these wheels for a few hours a day for 5 days a week for 6 years, the supercomps and red alloy nip combo will easily hold up to you and your style of riding....

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
for the last 6 years, i've used the revolution/red alloy nipple combo on my DJ bike with zero problems (and the same combo on my DH bike for the past 4 years). anybody who has seen or ridden my bikes will attest that they are easily some of the stiffest wheels around. i've been floating around the sub 200lbs mark that whole time as well. if i can pound these wheels for a few hours a day for 5 days a week for 6 years, the supercomps and red alloy nip combo will easily hold up to you and your style of riding....
...and i believe the DT revs are 2/1.5/2

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.