Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tools are needed to properly install the M760 XT crankset? I have looked on Shimano's website, and it looks like there are two:

-TL-FC33 Crank Adaptor Installation Tool for Impact Wrench. For use with Hollowtech 2 Bottom Bracket cups. Code No.Y-130 09230
-TL-FC16 Crank Installation Tool for Hollowtech 2 tension caps. Code No. Y-130 09220

I assume the first is for use with a torque wrench. Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
gregk said:
What tools are needed to properly install the M760 XT crankset? I have looked on Shimano's website, and it looks like there are two:

-TL-FC33 Crank Adaptor Installation Tool for Impact Wrench. For use with Hollowtech 2 Bottom Bracket cups. Code No.Y-130 09230
-TL-FC16 Crank Installation Tool for Hollowtech 2 tension caps. Code No. Y-130 09220

I assume the first is for use with a torque wrench. Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks.

The first tool doesn't sound right. NO WAY is this an impact wrench install.

Park makes an all in one tool for $17. most shops and online carry it.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
gregk said:

Didn't you get instructions with the crank?
These ---> http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-6JJFC-EN.pdf
According to those, you need TL-FC32 to install the bearing cups, and TL-FC16 to install the cap.
TL-FC33 does the same as TL-FC32 but is made for a socket wrench. NOT AN IMPACT WRENCH. That's probably a translation error.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tlg said:
Didn't you get instructions with the crank?
These ---> http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-6JJFC-EN.pdf
According to those, you need TL-FC32 to install the bearing cups, and TL-FC16 to install the cap.
TL-FC33 does the same as TL-FC32 but is made for a socket wrench. NOT AN IMPACT WRENCH. That's probably a translation error.
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I didn't think an impact wrench sounded right either. I hadn't looked at the instructions yet because I haven't gotten the cranks yet. I wanted to order any necessary tools the same time I order the cranks. I want to install my stuff correctly (i.e. with a torque wrench), so I think the TL-FC33 will do the trick!

·
The devil is an angel too
7,330 Posts
I haven't installed an XT, but I did install a RF X-type. The cups are the same. You need a Park BBT-9 or the equivalent Shimano tool for the cups and an allen wrench (4mm I believe) for the rest, go to parktool.com for instructions. They have instructions there (with pictures and everything) for all kinds of outboard bearing cranks (Shimano, RF, FSA, Truvativ) And I wouldn't recommend the use an impact wrench! ;)
I don't see the need for using a torque wrench for the cups, more so if you look at the tool Shimano ships (or used to ship) witht the XTR cranks, which is pretty similar to Park's. On the other hand it never hurts to use a torque wrench.
If you get the TL-FC33, you'll probably still need the other one (TL-FC16) to adjust the bearing cups. On the Park tool (which I have) they included a plastic thingy, splined, which is used for said bearing adjustment. Since my cranks don't require that adjustment I really don't know much about it.

Edit: err, I meant BBT-9 not BBT-8

·
sadly, like the element
400 Posts
Meh, I'd just get the Park tool if I were you. It'll have both tools in one tool. You only need a torque wrench for the pinch bolts on the non drive side arm. I installed my XTR with the included tools and no torque values on the bearing cups or the preload cap. Just a littler over hand tight on the bearing cups (hand thread till they stopped, then another slight turn with the tool to make sure), and then just as tight as I could go with the plastic tool without risking stripping it.

Clarification, the park website has nice detailed instructions on installing the RF and Shimano external systems. The RF uses a crazy big driveside bolt that preloads and secures the cranks and uses a standard size allen, the Shimano has that plastic multi splined tool for its preload cap that FrozenK is mentioning on his Park Tool, so make sure you get that tool too if you don't get the park tool with it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
you don't NEED

anything else It comes with the right BB tool. You can use my torque wrench if you need for the pinch bolts. But when I got my m760 it came with a shimano wrench. The park tool is better, but not worth the extra $20.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
Blue loctite?

Leadghost said:
Meh, I'd just get the Park tool if I were you. It'll have both tools in one tool. You only need a torque wrench for the pinch bolts on the non drive side arm. I installed my XTR with the included tools and no torque values on the bearing cups or the preload cap. Just a littler over hand tight on the bearing cups (hand thread till they stopped, then another slight turn with the tool to make sure), and then just as tight as I could go with the plastic tool without risking stripping it.

Clarification, the park website has nice detailed instructions on installing the RF and Shimano external systems. The RF uses a crazy big driveside bolt that preloads and secures the cranks and uses a standard size allen, the Shimano has that plastic multi splined tool for its preload cap that FrozenK is mentioning on his Park Tool, so make sure you get that tool too if you don't get the park tool with it.
I was wondering if you used any blue loctite when installing your outboard bearings. When I installed my 05' LX a few months ago I used a little blue loctite (like the Park site suggests). I've put hella miles on em' already and I don't hear any creaks, I ride a Heckler for all-around (I live in Watsonville so I ride in SC, Demo, Henry Coe, and Fort Ord-closest to my house), a lotta the reviews I read before I got these cranks say the BB creaks. Mine aint creakin, and I weigh like 200lbs, wish I had enough $ for the XTR but I aint no racer, I'll take the weight penalty and just ride. I'll probably get the Hone's next cause that black color will make my black Heckler look all stealth (throw these one's on another bike- swapping parts and having multiple bikes is fun, it seems like a lotta folks on MTBR have more than one bike, it gets kinda addicting).

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
The M760 does NOT come with tools.

Buy the park tool, it has both shimano tools in one.

If you mistakenly bought the shimano BB cup remover and not the other tool, you can use needle nose pliers to take the cap on and off, it doesn't need to be torqued much so the needle nose pliers work well enough.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm thinking about getting these cranks/bb, too.

Whats the consensus on bottom bracket facing? What is this? Do i need to do it? My bike currently has a cartridge type bottom bracket...

·
ups and downs
15,596 Posts
Facing cleans the paint off the outer edge of the BB shell and trues up the metal surface so it is dead square to the BB spindle axis. That's critical for good bearing life with external BB's as there's no margin for having them out of square that won't make them bind.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Need the BB tool, to tighten cups, and get them off.

So don't use locktite, just some assembley grease.

The tensioning tool is a nice to have, it should only be done up finger tight anyway.

I have and use one, but I use enduro bearings and re grease them, so I use the tool to overtighten the bearings and squezze a bit of grease out. then I loosen and retighten finger tight.

The pinch bolts can use a touch of loctite and should be almost as tight as you can go with a normal length allen key.

Facing should not normally be required.

Be sure to get the shims and the chainline correct.

If in doubt put it in middle chain ring and middle gear the chain should be almost straight.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Had a long conversation with the tool maker for Enduro. He's adamant about facing the BB, specifically with outboard bearings. I wasn't of the same opinion. In the end, I'm sure he's right and I'm wrong. He is passionate about this stuff and knows bearings really well.
Next time, I'll face my bb.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How about Hollowtech 1 XT crankset?

New question, does Shimano's Hollowtech 1 XT crank use the same tool and method as Hollowtech 2? and how about the other X-type, same as Hollowtech 2? I am going to do some swaping next week between Truvativ Fire-X GPX and XT (752)? and hope that can be done with the same tool.
thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts