Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Nothing

Votes: 33 89.2%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to perfect my on-bike parts kit. I used to carry none of this but recently added a spare cleat, washer plate and 2 bolts. Thinking this might be overkill, at least for single day rides and 1 bolt might be all that is needed. If 1 bolt is somehow lost, i would surely notice and replace before the whole cleat falls off. Let us know what you carry in the poll. And please only reply if you ride clipless, data from people riding flats obviously won’t be applicable.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Given the weight and size, I carry a cleat and two bolts. I would likely use some small Allan key on my multi-tool to pick out dirt.

to me they are small and light and losing one would make for a difficult ride.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sounds to me like it's time to switch shoes/pedals to a more reliable brand if you're actually worried about cleat failures...?

I maybe the only one, but I do not carry anything but a water bottle. Not a tube, inflator, multitool or anything else. Only walked out 1 time in the last 10 years.
You probably just hexed yourself.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
On my 650b Enduro rig of got 2 cleat bolts stored in the brake rotor holes on the wheel hubs.

Yes!!

You can use spd (and probably others) cleat bolts to secure brake rotors.

Bonus is... you've always got backup cleat bolts handy.

Brakes will still work with 5 of the 6 rotor holes being utilized.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my 650b Enduro rig of got 2 cleat bolts stored in the brake rotor holes on the wheel hubs.

Yes!!

You can use spd (and probably others) cleat bolts to secure brake rotors.

Bonus is... you've always got backup cleat bolts handy.

Brakes will still work with 5 of the 6 rotor holes being utilized.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3
That is a super cool strategy! Thanks for sharing. You won this thread/ makes other options obsolete i think.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the reverse possible?
That is, can you use brake rotor bolts to secure SPD cleats?
=sParty
Good question. I got excited by the idea and was imagining this without fully thinking it through. The convex shape of rotor bolt heads may be problematic for some clipless systems but my best guess it would work as long as pedals have ample clearance in cleat area, modern shimano spd should work i am thinking.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've had cleats come loose before. I've found that they're almost unrideable well before you risk losing one. If you think about it, as long as you are in the pedal, there is no room for the bolt to come out. It'll just stay mildly loose....oh, and then you'll fall over without coming out of your pedals because of the loose cleat when you come to a stop.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.