Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
I just tried Bubly, it was on sale.

Horrible taste, horrible aftertaste! Try Spindrift instead- much better.

Spindrift is an American soda and seltzer company. Spindrift's marketing emphasizes that there is 5-8% real fruit juice in every can of its sparkling water, as opposed to the "natural flavors" used by competitors (i.e. Bubly) . Spindrift's lemon sparkling water, for example, contains 3% juice.

Bubly is owned by Pepsi, if that matters to you.
I actually have a soda stream and usually put frozen fruit in the bottle with it. I like Bubly but usually just get a plain seltzer water if I get it from the store.

I'll try Spindrift though, I hadn't heard of it before.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
One of my go-to bikepacking meals is either cous cous or instant mashed potatoes with one of those packets of flavored tuna dumped in. Those things are the bomb, and super easy to pack.
With this whole pandemic thing we were advised to have a ready supply of food, i tried out some of the shelf stable tuna packs. Only one a liked so far was the Tapatio flavored one.

For rides i now usually pack a scone and a handfull of lightly salted almonds. That and a sport drink lasts me quite a while. When it starts going past 4 hours ill start dipping into the commercial energy bars like Clif/Kind and gummies and gels.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Dried fruit such as mangos, coconut, maybe a pbj sandwich on my way to a ride along with a sports drink.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
With this whole pandemic thing we were advised to have a ready supply of food, i tried out some of the shelf stable tuna packs. Only one a liked so far was the Tapatio flavored one.

For rides i now usually pack a scone and a handfull of lightly salted almonds. That and a sport drink lasts me quite a while. When it starts going past 4 hours ill start dipping into the commercial energy bars like Clif/Kind and gummies and gels.
Starkist makes a jalapeno tuna packet that I eat just about every day for lunch with crackers. There's a buffalo one that's not bad also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Water, lots of water. Energy bars, fruit, Snickers bars work well, even melted.

I'll sometimes stop at grocery stores along the way and nibble on fruits & veggies at the salad bar and produce area.

~~

Neighbor gave me a Cannondale F700 about a week ago, been testing it out & learning it (I LOVE this bike!!!). I recently did 12.5 miles out, 13.4 on the return, in about 4.5 hours... about halfway through the return trip, I was in low, low gears and stopping every couple hundred meters or so. I eventually made it home without Uber or some such, but I was plum worn out... food is necessary, I don't care what people say. ;)

·
One ring to mash them all
2,967 Posts
One of my go-to bikepacking meals is either cous cous or instant mashed potatoes with one of those packets of flavored tuna dumped in. Those things are the bomb, and super easy to pack.
For longer sit-down-&-eat lunches, do some googly searches on cold-soak backpacking meals.

I found this one today, made a batch and loved it: "Hiker Trash Pad Thai."

• 1 package ramen noodles
  • 1 pouch chicken (~2 oz.)
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter powder (or a serving scoop of regular peanut butter)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1-2 packets (or Tbsp) Sriracha

Soak all for 30 minutes in 8 oz. water. You can soak it while you're riding if you seal it up. A large Talenti gelato jar works well.

Peanut butter & raspberry energy gel on sandwich rounds or pita bread for quicker lunches.

Reactions: SingleSpeedSteven

·
One ring to mash them all
2,967 Posts
Double post.

·
Registered
16,341 Posts
For a two to three hour ride I might bring a Honey Stinger waffle. All day ride I might bring a PBJ sandwich or a breakfast burrito.

I don’t often do long rides like that any more. Most of my local rides are under two hours and my trips in the past few years have been to DH bike parks where I can either stop at my car for snacks or buy something at the resort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I normally eat before my rides, after dinner usually or I'll grab a pork roll, egg and cheese on a bagel on the weekends. I normally do long rides on the weekends. Some times I'll have to stop mid ride and grab more water, I drink a lot regardless if its hot or I'm pushing myself.

Sub two hour rides both MTB and road:

Plenty of water
Energy gels (hardly ever use unless I'm pushing myself hard)

Over two hours both MTB and road

Water with skratch mixed in
Granola bar of some sort
Energy gels
Recovery mix when I'm done

21 - 36 of 36 Posts