Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Destroyer of Worlds
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're going on a full-day ride, what kinds of food do you pack? No refrigeration, just the car/truck to store it.

·
Registered
UZZI 275
276 Posts
water, water, water, water;
probably energy bar just in case;

have proper pre-ride meal, should be good through the day

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
water, water, water, water;
probably energy bar just in case;

have proper pre-ride meal, should be good through the day

Maybe if you're riding really easy but if you're putting down any sort of power you'll run out of glycogen stores long before the day is over. Two hours is about my limit for a no food ride, beyond that I'll bring gels, energy bars, etc.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
If you're going on a full-day ride, what kinds of food do you pack? No refrigeration, just the car/truck to store it.
If I'm going on a full day ride, keeping my food in the truck isn't gonna cut it. Might have a cooler with something cold in it post-ride, but my food goes with me.

from a couple hours to maybe a half-day ride, I'll use bars, gummies, etc. the texture on gels doesn't work for me. honey waffles are good, too. jerky is another good option. but for a true all-day ride, an actual meal (and stopping for awhile to eat it) works best for me. a (usually) pbj sandwich, durable fruit (apples and oranges work well here), and something like trail mix that has some saltiness do well.

·
I get knocked down...
53 Posts
If it's not too hot, I pack a couple PBJ and Bananna sandwiches, otherwise supplemented with granola bars, some snack-able applesauce and jerky. About 4hrs is my limit though, still working on that fitness thing, though the climbs here are brutal and explosive. LOTS of water, I still want to sip for some of the downhills as I don't yet have the energy for a full run downhill KOM

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
peanut/raisin/m&m, or pretzel covered PB bites, to snack on. PB/banana/apple/honey/dash of salt burritos for lunch. Sometimes an orange. Bring a bottle with electrolyte mix too. As much water as possible. Sometimes I bring a beer to go with lunch / share.

I always keep a gel pack for emergency bonk, but I don't actually like them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
water with 2scoops of skratch labs hydration powder for anything 2 hours and under. Long saddle days (almost always on the gravel/road bike), i'm bringing PB and Js, cliff bars, trail mix, sour patch kids, or pieces of fruit, or if i know there is going to be civilization during my ride, I'll just bring my wallet and buy something along the way.

post ride, burritos with double meat if at all possible! If not, I'll snag a protein bar at a gas station or something.

·
slow
7,166 Posts
This was my ride fuel for the White Rim in a Day ride a couple of years ago, with calories for each:

60 oz yellow Gatorade 375
2 Hammer Fizz tabs 15
80 oz water

1 bag Haribo gummy bears 480
1 bag Hormel pepperoni 850
⅔ bag share size peanut m&m 320
2 packs peanut butter crackers 380
4 boxes Sun Maid raisins 360

I also like a PB&J sandwich, Stroopwafle, and/or Fritos on all day rides.

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
Tailwind in my bottles and a whole bunch of Fig Newtons. If I drive a long ways to get there, sometimes I'll pack a turkey wrap and some Bubly water in a cooler for the drive home.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,539 Posts
Tailwind in my bottles and a whole bunch of Fig Newtons. If I drive a long ways to get there, sometimes I'll pack a turkey wrap and some Bubly water in a cooler for the drive home.
I just tried Bubly, it was on sale.

Horrible taste, horrible aftertaste! Try Spindrift instead- much better.

Spindrift is an American soda and seltzer company. Spindrift's marketing emphasizes that there is 5-8% real fruit juice in every can of its sparkling water, as opposed to the "natural flavors" used by competitors (i.e. Bubly) . Spindrift's lemon sparkling water, for example, contains 3% juice.

Bubly is owned by Pepsi, if that matters to you.

·
MTBR Noober
18 Posts
Water, Gatorade, Protein bars, and my all time favorite, beef jerky!

.... But I do keep a Yeti cooler in the back of the SUV.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
There's no way anybody's digesting beef jerky during a ride. Maybe pulling some of the salt off but that's it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Protein during or after exercising is essential nutrition but it won't do much to restore energy during a ride. Carbs fuel, protein builds.

·
MTBR Noober
18 Posts
Isn't this thread about snacks that you pack for an all day ride?
I guess it depends on what you leave in your car and take with you.

Edit, so no one here mentioned anything about bringing sandwiches on the ride?

Or is this a let me act like an entitled dick to the new guy?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts