Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a bike for my GF. she is 5 foot tall and is a 25" standover height barefoot. I bought a giant NRS small but it is way to tall for her. Everything else is fine except she can't touch the ground when she gets off. It has good components and i got a great deal used so now I just need a frame to fit her and i will swap the components to it. Now what bikes have a low stand over height around 25 inches?

I want a good frame light frame as she is 110 pounds so I don't worry about her breaking anything. Here are just some i found looking at specs on the internet but I know thier has to be more out thier:

speclized rockhopper womens 25" standover
GT Avalanche XS 25" standover
GT Aggressor XS 24.6" standover
GT Outpost XS 24.6" standover
trek fuel EX5 WSD 27.4" standover
trek 4500 wsd 26.6" standover
gary fisher, big sir GS 26.6" standover
gary fisher tassajara GS 26.6" standover
gary fisher marlin GS 26.6" standover

Any suggestions on other frames or comments on these listed would be great.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,429 Posts
Giant make the Alias W, which is a woman's specific design - has a bend in the top tube and goes right down to an XXS 12.5" but they don't appear to list the geometry on their site.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
My son has a 13.5 Haro XCT HT that we bought for him to race DH 8 years ago when he was 4 foot nothing, with a tape measure it has a 26 3/4 top tube to ground. My 16.5 Ibex Atlas when measured is 27 1/4 with larger tires then stock. My son is now about 5'3" maybe 105 at 19 has plenty of room for the SA. Here is a pic of the 2 bikes & the boys BS each other, not a great angle. :thumbsup:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html

Attachments

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
She Has Pretty Short Legs Huh?

My wife is 5' also and rides a 15" or 16" frame with standover in the mid 26" range.

Is she worried about not being able to touch the ground? If the bike fits otherwise I'd give it a go for a while.

The XS GT frames are indeed tiny. I have a Zaskar at home right now and honestly I can't imagine something with 26" wheels being smaller. GT frames are also on the heavy side.

You might want to consider Terry. They only make womens bikes and cater to smaller people. EDIT: It looks like they don't offer MTBs anymore.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shayne said:
Is she worried about not being able to touch the ground? If the bike fits otherwise I'd give it a go for a while.

The XS GT frames are indeed tiny. I have a Zaskar at home right now and honestly I can't imagine something with 26" wheels being smaller. GT frames are also on the heavy side.
ya she is worried about not touching the ground. She tried riding my old bike which is pretty small from when i was a teenager and the top tube was alittle long but the biggest thing she didn't like is stopping before a downhill that was too steap and couldn't touch the ground.

What is the stand over hight ont he XS Zaskar? I might have to take a look at them as Zaskars are pretty nice. I ride a Ti GT and really like it.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Should Be Close to the Avalanche

I'll throw some wheels on it and measure it tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts