Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a Tang Sir9. just had a set of wheels built up with the black Hope Pro2 hubs, black spokes and the Salsa Delgado's. What skewer should I use for the front? The rear is a bolt on. Should I use the Hope skewer to match the hub or the Salsa skewer to match the rim?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've use both Tune AC16/17's and Salsa Ti's and with both I'm very happy.
Although the Salsa's are a bit heavier then the Tune's they do provide a bit more grip and better holding power.

But to keep a package using Hope's would be nice to when you use Hope hubs.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Rainman said:
Hope..because it has a solid brass fulcrum...:thumbsup:

R.
Hate to say it but my Hopes were the most awful skewers I ever had.
They were difficult to release due to the shape of the lever and I also found you really need to crank them down to stop them from coming undone.
XT are great and have a very nice action that never let go on me.
I am currently using A2Z Ti skewers which have a nice shape and good action making it easy to tighten and release.

·
Registered
252 Posts
After opening thousands of skewers over ears in various shops, I've come to realize one fat about them. Shimano makes the best skewers. Buy some Xt, put them on your bike, ride away and forget about them.

Salsa skewers are one of the most over-hyped under-engineered components on the market.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
jonassterling said:
After opening thousands of skewers over ears in various shops, I've come to realize one fat about them. Shimano makes the best skewers. Buy some Xt, put them on your bike, ride away and forget about them.

Salsa skewers are one of the most over-hyped under-engineered components on the market.
Amen, but they sure are pretty :p

XT for me!

·
Read Only
950 Posts
I have had a Hope skewer for a while and can't say I like it. The FSA skewers I have on a hardtail have been exceptional. Easy to close and open, seem to be powerful as far as clamping force, and never once have they come loose. Thumbs up for FSA!

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
I concur with the shimano skewer. They may not have the 'bling bling' of the Salsa, but they are unaffected by muck, easy to close, close tight and easy to open. I am not sure about the weight though. Skewers is not a place where I want to go weight weenie.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Same experiance

TR said:
Hate to say it but my Hopes were the most awful skewers I ever had.
They were difficult to release due to the shape of the lever and I also found you really need to crank them down to stop them from coming undone.
XT are great and have a very nice action that never let go on me.
I am currently using A2Z Ti skewers which have a nice shape and good action making it easy to tighten and release.
Actually had the skewers come loose on me a couple times for the first few months I had them. I was used to XT's and they never came loose. So I started really cranking them down and they will stay put, but they are bit more difficult to get open. The brass action needs to be kept lubed.

So anyhow, if I am ever in the market, I'd get a set of xt's or xtr's.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mine are "new" black XT 's that I see no difference in from past one's. The available black color was the only diff I saw.
Now those hard to come by laser cut out xtr's are really cool. But it is just the shimano mechanism that you are after, I guess it's patented that's why the others are the way they are. (weak)

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
jonassterling said:

Whatever. I've used them with no problems whatsoever. Especially found of their "Flip-lock" seat collars. Clean, work really well, good clamping power, and a good company.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Had the Mavics for 3+ years, never noticed them, they were easy to open / close. They never failed or were hard to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.