Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am on the verge of ordering a Vp Free. It is going to be a trail/freeride set up. I've decided on the fox dhx air shock, with a fox 36 VAN fork. My question is about frame size, I am 5'8" tall, should I get a small or medium frame?

Cheers

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
I'm 6'1.5 and ride a Large with a 50mm stem
You would prob be ok on a Medium

Although the 36 Van is a great fork (I have one my Nomad) I tried it on my Free and although it was light it did steepen the HA a bit.
Overall I prefer a longer fork like a 888 on my Free.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
5' 9", 33" inseam. I have a medium VP Free with a DHX Coil and a Boxxer Team. This has been my only functioning mtb for the last 3 weeks. I have spent a lot of time trail riding this bike including lots of climbing, Fruita road trip, shuttle runs, etc. Very happy with the fit considering the variety of riding I have been doing.

Why the DHX Air/36 Vanilla combo?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Small

They run bigger than they seem. I'm just about 5'10 with a 31" inseam. Look at the santa cruz site. The med has a 23.2 top and the small has a 22.2, but has a 3 inch shorter seat tube for really good stand over. I was right between sizes and went with the small. I run a 70mm stem and it feels real good. I put in a gratuitous pic of my ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
ndawoods said:
Hey everyone. I am on the verge of ordering a Vp Free. It is going to be a trail/freeride set up. I've decided on the fox dhx air shock, with a fox 36 VAN fork. My question is about frame size, I am 5'8" tall, should I get a small or medium frame?

Cheers
i'm about 5'7 and have a small and have been on a med uzzi and free and the small is much nicer IMO.. dont decided until you have had a chance to sit on a couple!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help everyone,

My medium vp free showed up yesterday. I think its the best size for me because: I will use it for mostly freeride / trail stuff, not really dh, I like to run short stems, and my torso is a bit long in relation to my inseem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why no ISCG tabs on the VP Frame???

So, whats up with this? Santa Cruz doesn't think people will want to run chainguides on their 8.25 inch freeride bike??? E-type guide work, but will rotate when they are hit. Whats going on here?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Tree,

About to make the jump to a Free myself and am in that ambiguous sizing between M/L. I rode both a M and a L today (albeit with a Fox40) and while I liked the compactness of the M for things like jumps and techy DH...the L felt like I'd like it better at speed in flowy stuff.

The kicker was I could easily hit my knees on the 40 stanchions on the M and had to work on it on the L....you and I are about the same size...you have this problem on your M with the 888?

thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.