• 90mm

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • 90mm or more

Votes: 13 11.3%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
70mm is the smallest I can go without getting my knees bound up with the shifters.. In fact I tried a 50mm just yesterday and it was no go, there was trouble afoot once I needed to lean forward to climb and turn. Thus I continue to flirt at the edges of the cool short stem wide bar new fangled hotness..

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,189 Posts
I run -5 degree 100mm on dual suspension bike and a -6 degree 90mm on my hard tail (for an effective reach of 745mm on both rides).

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
90mm and a 785mm bar. they are both new to me so we will see if i end up cutting the bar at all. that being said i am stupidly tall and have broad shoulders so i might just end up leaving it that long

·
Registered
555 Posts
The question doesn't quite make sense to me. The stem size is chosen to give you a comfy stretch out. If the frame is a little too big for you, you'll end up with a short stem say 90mm and less. If the frame is a little small for you then you'll need something between 110 and 130mm.

Besides,if you shorten your stem without making the bars wider, your steering will become quicker, like a XC bike - that's something you don't want for rugged downhill. Best to just use wider bars for downhill stability, and choose stem size to make the bike fit you.

·
Registered
829 Posts
bigbeck said:
The question doesn't quite make sense to me. The stem size is chosen to give you a comfy stretch out. If the frame is a little too big for you, you'll end up with a short stem say 90mm and less. If the frame is a little small for you then you'll need something between 110 and 130mm.

Besides,if you shorten your stem without making the bars wider, your steering will become quicker, like a XC bike - that's something you don't want for rugged downhill. Best to just use wider bars for downhill stability, and choose stem size to make the bike fit you.
Stupendous Man said:
Why does it matter?

Stem length does not determine the "all mountain-ness" of a bike. Use the stem that fits you.
Oh no! Here we go again. Trust me it matters! In the All Mountain forum, "choosing a stem size that fits you" = "insertion into special places" and people get all bent out of shape when we talk about "bike fit". Notice how so many AM riders wear baggy shorts? Its so people don't see how much of their stems actually don't make it "all the way in". Why? Its because their stems don't "fit" but everyone is too embarrassed to talk about it openly here, even though it is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone deals with bike fit at some point in their lives, and being open about a bike or stem not fitting is not a personal "shortcumming". It is just an "issue" to be dealt with. And mtbr can, and should imo, be a welcoming place of support for each other.

·
Registered
555 Posts
fotu said:
Oh no! Here we go again. Trust me it matters! In the All Mountain forum, "choosing a stem size that fits you" = "insertion into special places" and people get all bent out of shape when we talk about "bike fit". Notice how so many AM riders wear baggy shorts? Its so people don't see how much of their stems actually don't make it "all the way in". Why? Its because their stems don't "fit" but everyone is too embarrassed to talk about it openly here, even though it is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone deals with bike fit at some point in their lives, and being open about a bike or stem not fitting is not a personal "shortcumming". It is just an "issue" to be dealt with. And mtbr can, and should imo, be a welcoming place of support for each other.
Fotu, WTF! been hitting the bottle?:nono: :lol:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.