Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Fisher Marlin Disc and want to put tires for commuting on pavement...
What tire width range can I look at? Any help would help this newbie...
Thanks

·
OLDFATSLOW
104 Posts
comfort or speed?

If you want comfort stick with a 1.5-1.75 tire or bigger. If you want speed, get a 1 or 1.25 tire.
I run 1.25 on my hardtail for commuting. I have had really good luck with the tires from performance bike. They are cheap and work well. Not very comfortable at 70-80 psi, but they roll fast. very flat resistant also.
Forté Fast City ST/K MTB Tire selling for $11.99 right now! Don't forget to get the right size tubes.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
try not to get anything smaller than 1.6". i have tried a 1.3" much harder ride ... and i think they do look a bit silly ... just me being picky ... each his own i guess

conti sport contact

20080427 conti sport contact MTBR FORUM.jpg

city ride?

20080427 conti city ride MTBR FORUM.jpg

i have been using the sports contact now for 1 year ... excellant.

·
MTB Addict
830 Posts
Being far from a weight weenie and liking a softer ride, even at 60psi, I run nice fat 2.0 Big Apples. Good and fast, but wide, so they're heavy, but look good on the bike and roll well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have the Specialized All Conditions tires and they are super fast. VERY harsh at 100+ psi but SUPER fast.

My comfort road tires are the Michelin Country Rocks. They have tread still, but roll really well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys...you've been a lot of help...
ordered tubes and tires today...
wish me luck on changing my first tire...i might be back here

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
geremia said:
thanks guys...you've been a lot of help...
ordered tubes and tires today...
wish me luck on changing my first tire...i might be back here
You're not allowed to not tell us what you are getting. :D

·
The plough
662 Posts
ssc280 said:
I like 1.5", can handle some curbs but moves pretty fast also. I like a pure slick, but if you may be riding in the wet or rain it might be a bad idea.

I've been using these Bontrager "Road Warriors" and they work well

http://bontrager.com/model/00447/en
Why do you think a slick is bad for when its wet or raining?

The only reason car tires have grooves is to drain the water which can cause a water film to form between the tire and the road urface due to the width of the car tire. Bicycle tires are way too narrow for that. Having tread, knobs, grooves or any other such consumer friendly stuff on road tires just reduces grip.

V.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts