Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, another sizing thread.

I am 6'2 with a 34" inseam and am currently considering an '06 Stumpjumper. Would I go large or XL? The Trek hardtail that I am currently riding is a 21.5" frame and fits well. I have long arms, so I worry that a large would cramp the cockpit a bit, but I don't want a bike that's too big either.

Other than test rides, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Test ride for sure. I am 6'2", 32" inseam with long torso/arms and ride an XL. Only issue I had was the feeling of being too far over the bars so I went to a 100mm stem and it is perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
I am 6'2" with a 34.75" inseam and I just purchased an XL 06 SJ. I demo'ed a L SJ at the LBS. The large felt a little cramped but it was nimble and I was able to climb several hills with it. I didn't feel like I would be comfortable though on epic rides with such a small bike. The XL had to be special ordered, and when it came in, it looked monsterous beside the L. Once I hopped on it, the bike fit perfectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
did you get a chance for a test ride? if so,what size worked out better?
Mike679 said:
Yes, another sizing thread.

I am 6'2 with a 34" inseam and am currently considering an '06 Stumpjumper. Would I go large or XL? The Trek hardtail that I am currently riding is a 21.5" frame and fits well. I have long arms, so I worry that a large would cramp the cockpit a bit, but I don't want a bike that's too big either.

Other than test rides, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
I say go for the XL. I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam and ride an XL. I spent about two hours on a large demo bike before ordering my 05 Pro in an XL. I have a friend who just picked up an 05 on Ebay in large and I rode his bike just the other day. It definately felt to small for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Test Yet

DonH said:
did you get a chance for a test ride? if so,what size worked out better?
Probably after the holidays - I'm not really in a hurry, especially with winter coming here in NJ. I'd imagine that there aren't too many XLs at the LBS' in the area, so I'll try the large and probably order the XL (if I do indeed choose the SJ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
XL Stumpjumper

Mike679 said:
Probably after the holidays - I'm not really in a hurry, especially with winter coming here in NJ. I'd imagine that there aren't too many XLs at the LBS' in the area, so I'll try the large and probably order the XL (if I do indeed choose the SJ).
I know that Guys bicycles in Feasterville PA. has a XL Stumpjumper Demo.There # is 215-355-1166.If you need more info e-mail me at [email protected].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
My specs are 6'-2.5" 200lbs 34" inseam. I have ridden both the 2006 SJ FSR and the 2006 Epic in the Large frame size and they were both too small because I felt like I was leaning too far over the handle bars and whenever I was sitting in the saddle i could pedal hard and the front would lift up on both bikes. I also noticed that when I sat in the saddle I would instinctivley sit far back on the saddle which meant the top tub was too short.

Here is one of the best fit calculators I have found. It will tell you everything

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCM?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR&gender=M&units=in

I emailed Specialized about my sizing problems and here is what they said:

"With your size and inseam, an XL does sound like the correct size for you. I do not think that the Brain Fade technology is going to be used on all the models of the SJ FSR's. They do come with the Propedal system on the Triad rear shock, so with proper shock set up you can make it feel close to the ride of the Epic. 200lbs is ok for either bike. I would just watch it with how much gear you are going to be riding with."

I also found this answer about sizing:

Question

How do I decide what size FSR XC I should buy?

Answer
Here's a rough guide to go by:

5'2"-5'6"=small
5'7"-5'10"=medium
5'11"-6'1"=large
6'2"-taller=X-Large

This is a rough guide. Depending on arm/torso length the size you may need will differ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
FSR Sizing

I believe you will find XL better for your size. Im 5'10 long arms/torso/legs and the Large is perfect for me, the medium was too cramped- with your measurements Id say XL would be best.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top