Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a used 04 Stumpy 100 fsr that as yet has no disc brakes. I plan on using it in endurance events, long trail rides, etc. Should I use 180mm rotors or 160mm? Does it have to use one or the other?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Rotor size

I'm not sure that frame size, long rides or endurance racing really dictate what rotor size you should use. Certainly for long rides and endurance racing, weight is a consideration, so the smaller rotor size would save a few grams. Personally, I would be considering rider weight, they type of terrain you ride, aggressiveness of riding style, and the bike's fork's ability to handle the larger rotor.

For example, if you are a rider who weighs 150 lbs, rides a bike with a fork that has 28mm stanchions, and doesn't encouner long downhills then 6 inch rotors would make sense. If you weigh over 200 lbs, your fork has at least 30mm stanchions and you do a lot of long descents in your riding, a the 180mm rotor makes a lot more sense, IMO.

I hope this helps.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.