Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just cracked the seat mast on his Tracer. He is a big guy and weighs 230 and stands at 6-4 or 5. Long arms and average length legs. I think the RFX would be a good bike for him because he has not been kind to frames in the past. He also won't buy another frame from somone without excellent customer service. Do you guys think he is a extra or double extra large?

Think I am wise to steer him from the Spot? He doesn't even jump. He just rides heavy and bends seatposts. He also cracked a Trek at the seatpost area too.
Thanks

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
They only make up to XL (25.2" top tube). There is no 6-Pack sasquatch. I would put him on a 6-Pack or a 5-Pack (Pack front triangle, Spot rear triangle and rockers) and not a stock 5-Spot.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
They only make up to XL (25.2" top tube). There is no 6-Pack sasquatch. I would put him on a 6-Pack or a 5-Pack (Pack front triangle, Spot rear triangle and rockers) and not a stock 5-Spot.
OK thanks TS. I guess there is only one choice as far as main frame goes. I'll mention the hybrid option to him as well.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
I dunno. I always recommend the size that will best fit ME, especially for bikes I might be interested in, so I can get a good quality test ride! :D

Seriously, the XL RFX built up as a tough trailbike, sounds tough to beat for your buddy. Mine is treating me well (though I don't weigh 230 anymore), and tough trailbike is how I use it 90% of the time.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next question

What fork would you recommend for a trail bike build (Portland OR and area riding)? I don't think he is gonna want to spend a fortune on a fork. He doesn't like a lot of doo dads to fiddle with, and he probbaly won't upgrade this fork till he breaks it. I am thinking maybe 05 AM1 150? This would be to go with the RFX.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Does he already have a QR front wheel? If so, the AM1 would be a great choice (though it has lots of knobs). If he needs to build a front wheel, go 20mm. A 36 Vanilla R should be reasonable in price and stouter overall with few knobs to be confused by.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
tscheezy said:
Does he already have a QR front wheel? If so, the AM1 would be a great choice (though it has lots of knobs). If he needs to build a front wheel, go 20mm. A 36 Vanilla R should be reasonable in price and stouter overall with few knobs to be confused by.
Yah, yah. I'm running the Van 36 RC2 and it is great on the RFX. I don't mind knobs, so I thought the AM1 would be perfect on my Spot, but it was too tall, and the TAS cartridge's constant clicking/clacking over fast stutter bumps and roots drove me crazy.

Not being able to lower the Van 36 is a bit of a drawback, but again, one less knob, and I got used to the height fairly quickly, even on the steepest of climbs. Kind of like adding stomach crunches to every ride!

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Not exactly there, but...

...close. I'm 6' 3" w/long arms (wingspan of about 78-79") and short legs (34" inseam) @ 250. I'm on a '06 XL Spack/5-pack and having good times on it. I act like I can huck and jump, but the reality is I'm just a hamfisted poorly skilled aggressive trailrider. It's not had any issue with 5-ish foot drops to flat or staying on course when jamming down highspeed flows. I have an '06 Z1 light (doppio/QR 20) on it and it and the dhx-air work well together. I'm still figuring out the dhx, but the fork was Marz easy. It locks down for climbs and that helps, but the lever gets pushed forward pretty easily when crashes happen (often...) and I'm not yet in the habit of looking at it as I "rush" back to the trail, that can make for interesting steering on steep/tight switchbacks which we have plenty of here in west OR.

Anyway, I ran a set-back on it for the first couple hundred miles, but it was not necesary for me so I tossed on a straight post and it's all smiles now. Good luck to your buddy.

Brock...

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Ummm no, but...

scepticshock said:
Thanks. Thats good to know.

I am wondering if the seat post area on the RFX does break can it be repaired? What would his options be if it happened after the 3 year warrenty is over?
...the rfx front triangle is beefy as hell, particularly in the area you mention. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be on the rfx which has one (of the two...) seat tube/top tube junction supports fail because it would be one hell of a freefall/car crash. I've cased it tons of times and had *zero* issues with it which couldn't be fixed in a few minutes (hanger and brake tab) and they were things which wouldn't have happened if I had ridden the correct line/done the right things. Another thing is certain (beyond the stoutness of the rfx) that is that Turner bikes does everything reasonable (and beyond it sounds like) to take care of their customers (talented riders or not). In case you have not seen an xl rfx front end here is one:

Take care.

Brock...

Attachments

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm liking that double taco at the seat tube. Just what he needs. I'll send him that pic. I think he tends to kill that area on the uphill seated climbs. When he first got that bike he sent the seat post down and dinged the Float RL which deflated and ended that trip for him(dang waste of an 11 mile climb!). He is now a coil man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.