Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
dulyebr said:
I'm getting a SRAM X0 rear deraileur for my new ML, what size do they take, long or medium cage?

thanks
shouldn't be any different then any other bike. You will want a long if you are running triple rings up front. you can only use a short cage if you are running 2 chain rings up front and then only if you stick to 32-22.

as an example: the XT deraileur:

the total capacity of a GS type XT derailleur is 33 teeth, the SGS is 45T as published on teh shimano web site.

total capacity = (rear large- rear small ) + ( front large-front small)

for normal 3 ring = 45 = (34-11)+(44-22)
for normal 2 ring = 33 = (34-11)+(32-22)

·
N/A
236 Posts
demo_slug said:
shouldn't be any different then any other bike. You will want a long if you are running triple rings up front. you can only use a short cage if you are running 2 chain rings up front and then only if you stick to 32-22.
You don't need a long-cage for a triple. You shouldn't run more than 2 chainrings on a short-cage RD (like a road derailer), but you can run a medium-cage X.0 on a 3-ring setup. You just have to be more careful not to cross-chain. Check the drivetrain forum for many threads on this topic with pros/cons of each side. I personally prefer a medium-cage derailer for crisper shifting and more ground clearance and I've never had a problem with a standard 22-32-44 chainring and 11-32 cassette combo. YMMV.

I usually run my chain long enough so that it can run big/big if necessary (i.e., if I forget I'm in my big front ring). At this length, the chain tension is poor if I run the small ring and anything under 16t on the cassette. But I generally only run my small front ring in the top 2 or 3 gears so I never use this combination.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You should use a long cage if your cassette has a 11-34 or 12-34 and use 3 rings in the front. If your cassette is a 11-32 or 12-32 you could use a medium cage without problems.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I just set up a med cage X9 on an ML, 22-42 and 11/32 in back. Works great. On 22/11 combo, the chain just rubs on the little cage tang. You should not be in this combo. I could take out a link, then you can't be in 42/32 combo, which you shouldn't use anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.