Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
GotMojo? said:
There's nobody out there with a Racer X that is about my same size?
Medium, how long are your arms?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have both bikes. I had the Yeti first and after 5 years of riding hard the frame weld cracked above the bottom bracket where the seat post joins the bottom bracket. I didn't notice it and felt the bike was getting old so I bought a racer X 2008. I then discovered the Yeti's crack. Way past warranty but they gave me a great price for a 2007 replacement frame, the one with the full carbon rear triangle and an RP23 Fox rear shock. I rebuilt it up with new components since I had used it's parts on the Titus and now have two beautiful bikes. Which do I ride consistantly? The Racer X. Why? Partly because I rode it for a year before getting the Yeti back and my body and riding style adjusted and second I was racing on it and felt it better to stick to one bike. Would I have bought the Titus if I could have fixed the Yeti right away? I would have fixed the Yeti. At that time I thought there was no better bike, now I do. The racer X is not as versatile as the Yeti. The Yeti has much smoother suspension. The racer X is XC race oriented, and has much stiffer suspension, and I ride both bikes without propeddle on because they both ride really well with little to no noticable bob. The Racer X turns much tighter and is faster in the really tight stuff, however this might just be because I fully adjusted to the Racer X and not the Yeti. They both climb fantasticly. The Yeti is a more plush ride and more forgiving. They both rocket down hills, and are extremely steady the faster you ride them. The racer X's steep head angle makes it turn on a dime but this sometimes catches you by surprise, so you need to be on your toes. The bottom line both bikes are great, you need to ride them both to see which fits your body and riding style. You will win races on both and feel fantastic riding both but they are definately different rides.

Hope this helps. As far as size, I can't help you, I am 5'-7" and ride small frames for both. The Yeti feels a bit taller than the Racer X but not too tall just taller. If I have to choose between a slightly larger or slightly smaller frame I would err toward the smaller. My guess with you being 5'-9" is that you would fit a medium frame for both.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
I'm 5'8" with 29 inch inseam on a small and I think its just right......at your height and inseam I think a medium would be better suited.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Go with the RX, prolly Medium

GotMojo? said:
I have been thinking about picking up a Racer X (or a Yeti AS-R).

What size Racer X frame would you recommend for me... I'm 5'9", 175lbs, 32 inseam. Any ideas or suggestions on frame size?

And any thoughts on a Racer X vs. a Yet AS-R ?
Full disclosure: I am a huge Titus fan, but I have ridden the Yeti. The Yeti is nice, but IIRC it is a 3 bar link (no horst pivot). Just not quite as plush as the RX, and IMO a bit more brake-jack. YMMV

I share your measurements, nearly exactly. I rode a Small for 2 years with a set back post and 110mm stem and it worked ok, but on longer rides it started to feel a bit cramped. Great fun to slice thru the twisties, though. Overall, the Med feels a lot better, and is more comfortable. I am still running the set-back post because I like the position of my hips for climbs (maybe psychological, but whatever). Long story short, having had both the Med wins hands down.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.