Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
its best to find one at your lbs and ride it around the parking lot...even if you plan to buy online. that said if your lbs doesn't have any at least check your inseam and compare it to the standover heights listed on kona's website. ideally for a bike like that you should have about 2" of clearance...

·
Extra Crispy
526 Posts
Man, I must have short legs then. I ride an 18" Explosif and I'm 6'1... maybe a 17" would've been better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think your inseam is more important than height. I have a longer torso and shorter legs -
5"10 and 31.5 inseam. The top half of my body likes the top tube length of the 19inch models, but my bottom half would prefer a little more clearance space for "the boys" in case I crash.

BTW, I no longer buy a bike unless I've ridden it first. I live in a small town where we don't have big stores with a lot of selection.
Every bike I've ordered online or without riding first has presented a sizing problem. Even when the specs were similar to bikes
I liked in the past, they just weren't comfortable to me. I can't tell you how many stems and bars I went through to try to get the bike to feel right. I've even had to move my seat all the way back to try and buy more top tube space, which of course screwed up my pedaling position.

I'd have no problem trying out a bike at a local dealership and ordering the same size online though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts