Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that I'm in a hardware store most every day of late (bathroom renovation - yuck). I never remember to pull the extra water bottle bolts and I'd probably lose them if I did.

What size nylon bolts to replace these puppies?

gratzi,

-capt p

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
capt pearl said:
Seems that I'm in a hardware store most every day of late (bathroom renovation - yuck). I never remember to pull the extra water bottle bolts and I'd probably lose them if I did.

What size nylon bolts to replace these puppies?

gratzi,

-capt p
I wasn't able to find metric, but I found that 10-32 screw right in.

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gratzi

DaFireMedic said:
I wasn't able to find metric, but I found that 10-32 screw right in.
i'll pick some up on my next trip.

-capt p

·
Registered
33 Posts
At Home Depot they have these nylon "hole plugs" that snap perfectly into the hole. They are actually smaller than the 10-32 screw and have a much cleaner look when snapped in (they have a smooth face). They are white nylon and face is the same size as the water bottle bosses.

·
Registered
81 Posts
steamboatsig said:
At Home Depot they have these nylon "hole plugs" that snap perfectly into the hole. They are actually smaller than the 10-32 screw and have a much cleaner look when snapped in (they have a smooth face). They are white nylon and face is the same size as the water bottle bosses.
Do you have a part number that i can refer to when i go there?

thnx
jeremyb

·
Registered
33 Posts
jeremyb said:
Do you have a part number that i can refer to when i go there?

thnx
jeremyb
Sorry, I don't. But they were in the same drawer as the nylon 10-32 screws. They were in these little plastic bags, 2 plugs per bag. I will see if I have the empty bag in my tool box, but I don't think so. I just recently got a paper shredder and have been shredding everything in sight because I love the sound. I would just start looking through the drawers at Home Depot's screws and bolts section. It was actually kind of fun finding something that would work.

Good luck.

Conrad

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
steamboatsig said:
Sorry, I don't. But they were in the same drawer as the nylon 10-32 screws. They were in these little plastic bags, 2 plugs per bag. I will see if I have the empty bag in my tool box, but I don't think so. I just recently got a paper shredder and have been shredding everything in sight because I love the sound. I would just start looking through the drawers at Home Depot's screws and bolts section. It was actually kind of fun finding something that would work.

Good luck.

Conrad
I am heading down to Home Depot for something else today, so I'll look for them. Do these look like they would keep water out O.K.?

BTW: I love the shredder too. You should get one of those electric bug zappers for the patio. Those are even more fun..... :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
DaFireMedic said:
I am heading down to Home Depot for something else today, so I'll look for them. Do these look like they would keep water out O.K.?

BTW: I love the shredder too. You should get one of those electric bug zappers for the patio. Those are even more fun..... :D
I found em---they snap right into place and two weigh .4 grams (point 4) and cost .35 for the 2.

Thanks for the awesome tip-----2 Aluminum bolts weigh 2 grams. these are a lot lighter!

jeremyb

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Man, my home depot sucks. They're like, "whats a nylon bolt?" "Oh, go to bathroom supplies," and there "whats a nylon bolt?" Bunch of dimwits. I need to find a good hardware store. I went to Ace, "sorry, I dont know what that is." I hate the employees at my local home depot. They dont know anything about anything. Well, some do, but most dont. And Here I am with 6 steel waterbottle bolts in my frame...

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
jeremyb said:
I found em---they snap right into place and two weigh .4 grams (point 4) and cost .35 for the 2.

Thanks for the awesome tip-----2 Aluminum bolts weigh 2 grams. these are a lot lighter!

jeremyb
What size are they? I bought 3/16" and they they went in, but I had to jam them in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am glad have been able to contribute to the world famous "Save some weight" MTBR forum. I hope to start seeing this mod in MTBA, Bike, etc. Maybe one day I can get a official holiday named after me.

I am buying stock in this company right away.

Conrad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey, I posted but it disappeared. Anyway, I am proud that I have been able to contribute to the world famous "Save some weight" MTBR forum. I hope to see this weight saving mod in all of the popular publications and at all of the races. Maybe one day they will name a holiday after me. haha.

·
Maromero
1,603 Posts
Can you

steamboatsig said:
I am glad have been able to contribute to the world famous "Save some weight" MTBR forum. I hope to start seeing this mod in MTBA, Bike, etc. Maybe one day I can get a official holiday named after me.

I am buying stock in this company right away.

Conrad
post some pics to see how they look, I mean installed on your machine.
Cheers on your Holiday.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gambrills said:
My local Home Depot(s) - both of them - don't carry any nylon bolts anymore. They're discontinuing the little drawer of custom parts, even.

I'm thinking of ordering these:

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/ssn.cfm (SSN-032-4)

In 10-32, with 1/4" length. Comments? Sure would be cool if you could get these in yellow or red or something...
Yes i know, red or yellow or even just black would be very cool. I've thought about painting them, but that might be an extra two tenths of a gram :)

Yeah those hex head 10-32 would be good---id go with something a little longer than 1/4 (you can always trim it later if the need arises).

jeremyb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts