Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need a new mountain bike and have spent WAY too much time the past week going over options all the way IBEX to a custom frame. I like some of the IBEX's, but in the end decided I will be happiest picking exactly what goes into my bike. I need to make a decision and get going before I go insane!

Also decided to give steel a try. But anyways, to the point of the thread... what size frame should I get.

Nashbar Signature 853 frame

My stats:
5'10"
Long torso with shorter legs and arms.
Inseam: ~31"
Road bike: 54cm

I'm thinking I should get the 17.5" frame, with the next size being a 19.5"... I want some advice though, since this is an internet order and I want to be absolutely sure before I take the plunge!

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
834 Posts
This is tough. Smaller frames relative to the next size are lighter, stiffer and nimbler. The caveat here is you don't max out the seatpost to its limits. Are you positive your inseam is only 31" at 5'10"? Did you measure it wearing cycling shorts? Or is that your pants inseam? Anyway, I saw the 853 nashbar frame, although the size 17.5 states 17.5" c - t, it shows a lot of seat tube extending from the toptube so I guess if you're inseam is really 31' your bb to saddle height should be 27.46". Based on that, from the top of the toptube you'll have 10 inches to the top of the saddle, less the saddle height of 1 1/2', you'll have like 8.5 inches of seatpost showing. Factor in the 4 " inserted inside the seat tube you'll need a 12.5" or 320mm length seatpost. You are safe here as mountain seatpost are like 330mm. Like I said, in the Nashbar picture there is a lot of seat tube extending relative to the top tube so this should be okay.
Now the other concern is, relative to the saddle height, the handlebar (with that saddle height), might be like 2 inches lower. Of course you can raise it up if you compensate that with a long steerer tube and a ton of spacers. That is if you prefer your handlebar level to your saddle height. Notice the bikes of xc racers, their bikes show a lot of seatpost and the handlebar is like 3 inches lower than the saddle. This gives them a more aerodynamic position - but uncomfortable to others if they don't have their flexibility. Since you are used to riding roadbikes and used to riding on the drops I guess this would be okay. I'd say you can fit on a 17.5 although you may need a longer stem...just like the xc racers;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
rebaths said:
Ok, I re-measured my inseam, this time wearing cycling shorts and using the 'book in your crotch method' and my inseam is 32".
32" inseam will put your saddle to bb measurement at 28.35 inches. What is your Saddle to BB on your road bike? Anyway, you can get seatposts with 350mm or even 400mm length so that wouldn't be a problem. Although the 853 Nashbar frame has an extended seat tube way past the top tube, I still think the seatpost should be inserted past where the toptube and the seatstay meets inside the seat tube.
FWIW, I also like smaller frames:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.