Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a dealer nearby where I can try one out so am wondering what size is best for a fella 6'-2" tall, 34" inseam. A look at the DiamondBack site suggests the large but I would like some input from guys that actually have the bike and what they say works best for them. So you guys that have a Mission what do you find works best for you? I dont want to be overly cramped but I dearly hate being stretched out. I'm hoping this is a bike that is ergonomically comfortable enough to ride for all day excursions on the trails and will potentially be my first FS bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It depends on your riding style and skills pretty much.
I'm 5'10" and normally ride 17" Mission.
I took couple of times the 15" Mission of my wife as we were in the mountains. And I liked the smaller bike on the steep rocky descents with a lot of turns (also switchbacks) between the mid-size rocks - for its agility, ability "to turn on a spot" and "squeeze" through some narrow places between the trees or rocks. But I understand, that I couldn't use small bike for more XC/trail riding, say as "one bike for all", so I prefer 17" but with a very short stem (50mm).
With a longer stem (75mm) I felt myself on my bike like on a Caddy from '70ies - stable and fast on the straight lines but turns so sloooowly, even when practically "laying it down" into the turn.

So it's up to you, could be 19" or 21" frame (with, say, 40mm stem) as well
I'd say 19" would be better ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm a tad shy of 6'2 and I ride a 19 inch sortie black (5in). I like having the bike in the smaller size as it provides for better maneuverability. I use a 70mm stem too. I like the way it rides, plus to lower back pain after long rides.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas, I was sorta thinking the 19" even though the DB site states a 21" is more suited to my height, I have a 20.5" xc hardtail right now that although quite awesome puts me in that "race stance" which isnt condusive to all day excursions in the saddle, I do feel somewhat stretched out which works great while clawing for traction and navigating the trail but truly gets in the way of enjoying extended rides. I find that I am more a fan of long rides moreso than fast rides so was trying to figure out what size rig on a FS AM style bike would work best. As I understand the ergos for the FS AM bikes like the mission are more upright anyhow which is exactly what I'm looking for. The FS to handle the rock and root strewn paths around my area and a geometry that makes climbing not so much a "puke your guts out" affair..

Thanks again and if anyone has any further thoughts or insight I still very much welcome them. It's really hard to figure these things out when you dont have a LBS locally where you can sit, feel and test one out in person. One wrong move and you've made a huge financial mistake.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
How funny!!

I just sold a Mission 2 2009 19" to a guy about 6'2" today. It fit him perfectly:) Good choice I think. So go for the 19" frame!!

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Oh and I ride a 17" mission at 5' 10" or I used to as I just sold it:sad: But I loved the fit! The 19" mission comes with a 100 mm stem, 24" tt and you can shorten it up if you need to. I ride a 17" Sortie and run a 70mm stem with layback post. Feels better for technical stuff, I also have a 19" Sortie which I got first, I was torn between sizes, (only a 1/2" TT difference between the M & L), So I loved the 19" for XC and ran a 70 mm stem with reg seatpost, feels great, but think the 17" in the long run is better for me at 5'10" and 32 inseam and of course my riding style, feels more BMXy if you know what I mean;) !. Thats why the 19" Sortie is a SS!! I always am between sizes when it comes to frames:crazy: I almost got a 19" mission when I was thinking about my first purchase but was happy that I got the 17". :D

:rant: sorry for the rant

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats hardly a rant. Truly, I appreciate all the info and snippets of insight from everyone.

When you have no access to a physical bike you can touch and feel to make more informed decisions, the input from those that can lend their experience and insight is invaluable and greatly helps the decision making process feel less like a hail Mary toss of the dice with me doing little better than hoping things work out in the positive.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine is a Large/19"

I'm 6'1" w/ 33" inseam

I use a 90mm stem and a reasonable amount of a normal seatpost exposed.

Perfect fit.

@ 6'2", you could go with a 19" and a 100mm stem, but it depends on your inseam and arm/torso length.

I always buy a bike by top tube length and fit the rest with cockpit and seat position.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm 186cm and 103kg and rode a 21" when it was working.
I have tried several different stems and I think the latest was 100mm.
The factory seat post was too short for long XC rides but TT length was perfect.

Cheers

Nathan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts