Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size fork can a trek 4500. i am wondering because i am thinking of purchasing a longer travel fork (around the 130 range) and i was wondering if the trek could handle that size of fork?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Heck yeah!

:)
onejollycat said:
what size fork can a trek 4500. i am wondering because i am thinking of purchasing a longer travel fork (around the 130 range) and i was wondering if the trek could handle that size of fork?
Hey buddy, that 130 or so will really please you if you do it right. I ride an 04 Trek 4500 with the 04 Manitou Black Platinum. It is adjustable from 90 to 120 mm of travel. Downhill, I always ride 120. It flows so much smoother than the judy TT it isn't even funny. However, if smoothness is what you crave, the Skareb in 100mm would be a great choice too. If you want 130mm you might look at the Minute lineup. I love my Black Platinum. I switch to 100mm for the climbs, and switch back to 120 mm for the DH. In short, the 4500 is more than capable of handling that kind of suspension. I ride pretty aggressively and have done so for a couple of seasons now. I can tell you from many hours experience that more travel is an absolute blessing. And the best part is, It doesn't seem to affect the handling of the bike at all. I make really sharp turns coming back down every time I ride and the bike just goes with it. It almost feels like flying. If the Black interests you, you can ask me about it or even better, go to answerproducts.com and look it up. I think it might be just the ticket for you. Happy Trails! Mikey42186
 

·
Domestic Fowl
Joined
·
869 Posts
I'm pretty sure your bike comes with a 80mm travel fork. Going to a 130mm travel fork is a HUGE change. This fork is going to jack up the front of your bike 2 inches which will do a few things.

1) standover will be reduced
2) head tube will slacken which will affect steering
3) your weight will shift back, which will affect climbing and handling

All of these things will be even more pronounced on smaller frames. The other poster with the Trek 4500 aparently has some experience with a longer travel fork on this frame and seems to be happy with the outcome. I'm just saying be forewarned that this is going to be a big change and if you don't like the change, you're going to be stuck with a very expensive paper weight. I would highly suggest that if you go with a long travel fork that you get one with adjustable travel going from 80mm to whatever. This will give you the option to dial back the fork height if you find it unbarable.

The voice of experience. I owned a $500 paperweight in the form of a fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
FreeRangeChicken said:
I'm pretty sure your bike comes with a 80mm travel fork. Going to a 130mm travel fork is a HUGE change. This fork is going to jack up the front of your bike 2 inches which will do a few things.

1) standover will be reduced
2) head tube will slacken which will affect steering
3) your weight will shift back, which will affect climbing and handling

All of these things will be even more pronounced on smaller frames. The other poster with the Trek 4500 aparently has some experience with a longer travel fork on this frame and seems to be happy with the outcome. I'm just saying be forewarned that this is going to be a big change and if you don't like the change, you're going to be stuck with a very expensive paper weight. I would highly suggest that if you go with a long travel fork that you get one with adjustable travel going from 80mm to whatever. This will give you the option to dial back the fork height if you find it unbarable.

The voice of experience. I owned a $500 paperweight in the form of a fork.
I agree. My friend has a F300 which he has upgraded quite a bit, full xt drivetrain, and he has also thrown on a Black Comp with adjustable 80 to 120 travel. It was a HUGE difference in handling. It was a lot more slack, but I guess if you feel comfortable with that then it's fine. But your bike's attitude WILL change.
 

·
Domestic Fowl
Joined
·
869 Posts
synkronized23 said:
I agree. My friend has a F300 which he has upgraded quite a bit, full xt drivetrain, and he has also thrown on a Black Comp with adjustable 80 to 120 travel. It was a HUGE difference in handling. It was a lot more slack, but I guess if you feel comfortable with that then it's fine. But your bike's attitude WILL change.
Yeah, I tried to go from a 64mm travel fork to 80mm. The change was completely unacceptable for me. Others will tell you they've made bigger jumps in size and had no problems.

All I'm saying is be aware that there is potential here to waste a lot of money. Two inches is a HUGE change. You may like it, you may hate it. If you hate it, it will have been a very expensive experiment.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top