Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a new Fox Talas fork, but don't know what mm size I need on the steerer tube. I have a 2001 Trek Fuel 100. Any suggestions? It has a 2001 Rock Shox Sid Sl on it
right now.

HELP! :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
you wanna try to keep the suspension travel about even on both ends. the fuel gets 3 inches in the rear I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) so you'll be fine running 80-100 mm. I'd suggest the 100 mm. no dualcrowns. that bike wasn;t meant for it. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Two different things...

I'm not what you're asking about here. Either you need to know how long the steer tube on the new TALAS needs to be to fit your frame, or you're asking how much travel your new fork should have to handle well on your frame.

If you buy a new out-of-the-box TALAS, the steer tube will be way too long for your frame and you'll have to cut it to size during the installation. If you don't know what I mean, a shop should do this for you.

The good thing about a TALAS is that the travel is externally adjustable and you can experiment with settings between 85-125mm by turning the blue knob on the right fork leg. I'd guess that you'll be happiest somewhere between 85 and 100mm travel for your frame like the above poster said.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Why do you want to run a TALAS on a Fuel 100? It seems kinda counterproductive to put a heavy (compared to a SID) adjustable fork on a nice lightweight bike with non-adjustable rear suspension?

I understand most people don't like the SID fork, but why not run a Float or Vanilla?

Just curious...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.